Interesting website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this site and thought that the information was interesting.

According to the stats, a little more than 1 in 3 applicants to DO school get in. For allopathic, the numbers are even higher, 45%.

I'm having a hard time believing these stats. They look real enough, but last I heard no better than 10% of applicants to MD school got in and around 15% of osteo applicants would get in there.

http://www.positiveprofiles.com/get_involved/res-v.html

Anyone have an opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

this is very true...the difficulty of getting into any old MD program is largely an illusion.

indeed, it's not terribly hard to get into your state university MD program, as long as you have above average stats. this actually helps to explain why we have so many incompetent doctors. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by sluox
this is very true...the difficulty of getting into any old MD program is largely an illusion.

indeed, it's not terribly hard to get into your state university MD program, as long as you have above average stats. this actually helps to explain why we have so many incompetent doctors. :rolleyes:

As long as the state is not california.........;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Right on Chak_de_Phatee. My shout out to a punjabi fella

What is it? 39000 applicants to MD school chasing 18000 spots? If you look at those numbers the acceptance to any MD school is close to 50%. I wonder what the statistics are for people who reapply?

The bottom line is that if you have reasonably good grades and are not a ****bag you will get into medical school. Of course, you might not get into your "first choice" but remember, the only "bad" medical school is the one that you didn't get into.

I think Harvard gets 6000 applications but only accepts 67. (?) LSU, on the other hand, gets about 700 and accepts 260 or so between New Orleans and Shreveport. (Sorry, you have to be a resident of Louisiana. LSU gets an additional 500 or so applications from out-of-staters who don't know this.)

So don't worry, unless you're in California.

Also, of the 50% who don't get in, I wonder how many ARE ****bags, or have 1.9 cumulative GPAs or 15 combined score on the MCAT? My point is, if you can take yourself out of the ****bag category your odds of getting into an MD school on your first or second attempt are probably much better than 50%.

Sincerely,

P. Bear
MSII (Non-****bag)

Originally posted by sluox

I know you're just kidding about "incompetant doctors." By any possible measure there is really not that much difference in the quality of education at most U.S. medical schools. I mean if you look at Board scores, Board passing rates, post-residency salaries, or post-residency malpractice suit rates.

But to avoid starting a flame war, I'll give the "big names" their due. They do tend to attract the best and brightest faculty although I don't know if this translates into better teaching.

Harvard and Dartmouth are certainly more prestigious than most. (I'm originally from Norwich, VT...walking distance to Hanover, NH and Dartmouth.)

Again, I repeat, the only "bad" medical school is the one that rejects you. I only applied to my state schools because, well, frankly I didn't have the best GPA or the highest MCAT scores in the world. I didn't plan on applying to medical school when I graduated so good grades were not a priority. (I have a degree in Civil Engineering, by the way, and worked as an engineer for almost eight years.)

I wanted to bring up the fact (and this has been discussed ad nauseam in previous posts) that the numbers are a bit decieving. Yes, roughly 50% of all applicants get in, but remember that this is a pretty selective applicant pool we're talking about. We're not talking about 50% of all the Joes off the street, we're talking about 50% of all those folks who put up with the insanity of the MCAT and the sh*tty premed requirements and who paid their dues all for a shot to get in. In that light, I don't think it's entirely fair to say that it's not that hard to get in anywhere--just ask anyone who has worked for years to get that acceptance. Just my two cents.

Some states (like Alaska) have no state school. It is really not all that easy to get one of the 10 spots that UW reserves for Alaska residents. I didn't, despite being accepted to 5 other schools, one of which was a top 10.