Interfolio: Electronic Upload vs. Snail Mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kate6058

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I just got an Interfolio account and am talking with two of my LOR writers who are currently in a different state than I am. I plan to ask them whether or not they prefer to upload their letters right into Interfolio or if they want to use the paper method, but first I have a question about uploading, if anyone can help. What do they do about signing the letter? I was confused by the stuff I read on the Interfolio site about creating a .jpg of your signature and uploading it... would my profs be required to do this, or do schools accept letters through Interfolio without a real signature on them?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You know, I just let my professors deal with it however they wanted. Provide them the coversheet and let them deal with it how they choose. Most professors are familiar with Interfolio and probably have their preferred method of submission. Interfolio updates pretty quickly, so even if the profs send their letters snail mail it should only take a week or two for them to appear once the letters are sent.

Also, Interfolio knows what they're doing. I've never heard of letters being rejected or anything like that.

Yeah, I will give them the option. I just don't want them to be inconvenienced if that signature capture is involved with submitting online. Do you know if I was reading something wrong or will they have to deal with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I will give them the option. I just don't want them to be inconvenienced if that signature capture is involved with submitting online. Do you know if I was reading something wrong or will they have to deal with that?

The way Interfolio's signature feature works is that the letter writer, after logging on (directions for this are in the e-mail or letter that you provide to them) uses their mouse to try to "wave" an electronic signature to add it to the bottom of their LOR. It takes some skill to do the signature, they have the option of signing & mailing a letter if they don't like the way that it turns out.

Based on my own experience, if the writer chooses to upload the letter, it may be troublesome to include the letterhead and signature. So chances are they would just upload the letter without letterhead and signature, which may not be acceptable for some schools. If the writer sends Interfolio a hard copy of the letter, Interfolio will scan that letter and upload it for you. If a hard copy is sent after it is first uploaded, the hard copy will replace the uploaded one. I will recommend you call Interfolio and check if each letter has letterhead and signature. Good luck.:p