Interfolio LOR not signed not on letterhead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyzy2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community, first time poster here. I spent about two hours searching for an answer to my questions, but I didn't find anything that answered them all. Apparently, one of my letter writers did not write her letter on school letterhead. To make matters worse, she also did not sign it. This could be an error on the medical school's part, and I intend to contact them to double check if indeed the letter is lacking both parts. But in the meantime, what can I do? Is it possible for the letter writer to resubmit the letter to interfolio? If so, how do I know that Interfolio processed it correctly? Will AMCAS replace the old letter with the newest one? Do I have to create new letter slots in AMCAS and Interfolio for the corrected letter? Should I just tell the letter writer to mail the corrected letter straight to AMCAS? Do I need to contact AMCAS or Interfolio to inform them of the situation? What would be faster: mailing it to AMCAS or mailing it to Interfolio then sending it to AMCAS? I just don't know the most time efficient way to deal with this...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have at least 3 good ones? if so, then don't stress over it. If not, then:

Is it possible for the letter writer to resubmit the letter to interfolio?
YES

If so, how do I know that Interfolio processed it correctly?
YES, check it online

Will AMCAS replace the old letter with the newest one?
NO, nothing is ever tossed after you submit

Do I have to create new letter slots in AMCAS and Interfolio for the corrected letter?
YES, but need to indicate this is corrected supplement to XXX

Should I just tell the letter writer to mail the corrected letter straight to AMCAS?
NO, you are not interfolio it will need to be submitted by them

Do I need to contact AMCAS or Interfolio to inform them of the situation?
Contact Interfolio, contacting AMCAS will get you an answer of refer to Interfolio

What would be faster: mailing it to AMCAS or mailing it to Interfolio then sending it to AMCAS?
AGAIN, you need only to deal with Interfolio. Submit online is fastest!

BTW I should remind you Interfolio is also FERPA compliant the students are not supposed to know the contents of your "confidential" letter(s).

Becareful, you could be flagged for dishonesty...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I found out that the letter was not signed and not on letterhead because the medical school told me this: "We require that letters be signed and on proper school letterhead, which are both missing from this letter. Please have to [sic] professor correct the letter and resubmit it." not because I know the contents of the letter, as you presuppose.