1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Interfolio?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medmom, Dec 9, 2005.

1. medmom

medmom Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I want to make sure that when I apply I am not being held up by LOR''s. I was considering using a service like interfolio. Has anyone used one of these services? How does it work? Is it reliable? Do the schools know that that is where the letter came from? Do they care?
    medmom

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you graduated from ANY UC, you can use UC Berkeley's letter service. I used them this year, and was pretty impressed. They were very reliable and reasonably fast.

4. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Interfolio ROCKS. I used it at all my schools and had zero problems. Make sure you check "confidential" and sign the waiver release. As long as you choose to keep your references confidential on interfolio, you don't need to submit the schools' LOR form (if they have any).

Interfolio is very reliable. You can check the status of your deliveries very easily, and at some institutions you can deliver the references electronically. Also, when you send your letters with interfolio, you send them as a "package" - that is, all the letters are compiled into one envelope, and a cover letter is included by interfolio which tells them how the service works, but I am fairly certain most schools are familiar with this particular letter courier.

5. DrKitty

DrKitty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I used Interfolio with the help of my pre-med advisor. Most schools processed my LORs several days after they were posted on Interfolio. However, some schools (hint: GW) are too backlogged to check whether your LORs have been posted, so your file may be officially complete months later. But overall, I say Interfolio makes the application process faster and smoother.

6. bootz

bootz Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

A good question is how many people choose to use interfolio over the letter service at their own school. I'm thinking about switching over to interfolio because the letter service at my school charges $8 for regular mail (sent within three weeks) and $20 for ovenight (sent within three days). I looked at interfolio and saw they offered many more options at rates that are much better than the letter service at my school.

7. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree. You can't go wrong with interfolio.

8. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I used Interfolio and it worked well. It was cheaper than my campus service and easier to track.

9. medmom

medmom Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am from a small college in Colorado and we don't have a letter service so if I don't use interfolio than it is all between me and my letter writer.

10. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I used Interfolio as well, and I highly recommend it. It's a lot easier on your recommenders, too, because no matter how many schools you apply to, they only have to send a single letter.

11. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Use interfolio if your school does not have a letter service. Trust us, it will make your life MUCH MUCH easier. It will also make your letter writers' lives much much easier. YOu don't want your application held up because some letter writer was too busy/confused/frustrated/constipated/whateverinated to send a letter out. If you are applying to 15 schools, that is like 60 letters that you have to keep track of the status of as opposed to the 5 letters you send in to interfolio and the 15 packets they send out.

12. dajimmers

dajimmers Hedgehog!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A definite bonus for Interfolio is you get email notifications when a new LOR is updated and ready to be sent out. So, you'll know if a prof that said they'll get it done in a week hasn't sent it for a month or whatever. Also, they "verify" your LORs, making sure they are cleanly scanned into their systems before sending them out.

It also made it easy for me to see which schools I had sent which LORs to- they keep an online record of your transaction history, meaning you can ensure a specific LOR went to school A, that the last-minute school you added did indeed get your LORs, etc.

13. Dave_med

Dave_med Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Interfolio is great. My pre-med adivsor (and I use the term loosely) told me NOT to use Interfolio. He told me it was too "impersonal". What a load of crap. I'm so glad I went against his advice. It was the smartest thing I could have done. I know some of my classmates have gone nuts begging professors to get letters out this Fall. I had my writers compose the letters early summer and put them on file with Interfolio. When secondaries came in, it was so easy (and FAST) to send the letters with this service. If you don't have a letter service at your school....I definitely recommend using Interfolio.

14. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I loved interfolio!

15. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Interfolio is the bee's knees! Adds a little bit of expense to the process, but the peace of mind (and OCD-style control) it gives you more than makes up for it.