Interfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how it works exactly?

The way I understand it:

1. Ask professors to write LORs.
2. Request an LOR through Interfolio and send some sort of email to a professor.
3. Professor somehow uses a link to upload the LOR.
4. Document shows up on "My Documents" and is ready to be sent to schools.
5. Schools send secondaries and ask for LORs to be sent with them.
6. Send back secondaries and use Interfolio to send them my LORs via email.

Through all this, I avoid using slower mail, getting in a bind because I don't have the LORs ready, and I keep the LORs confidential...

Did I leave anything out? I went to the FAQs section and somewhat understood, but I was hoping to get someone with experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, you summarized it pretty well. Interfolio also submits your confidential letters in a packet with an official cover-letter with your name and AAMC number. So no worries, they are very professional and will handle everything...for a low, low price of 9 bucks per school that is!

whats the difference between interfolio and virtualeval?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, you summarized it pretty well. Interfolio also submits your confidential letters in a packet with an official cover-letter with your name and AAMC number. So no worries, they are very professional and will handle everything...for a low, low price of 9 bucks per school that is!

lol...are you being sarcastic?

lol, I dunno, I thought 9 bucks was pretty decent priced for quick mailing to the schools with everything organized... 9 bucks compared to a 75 dollar secondary means nothing...

Yeah...is it 9 bucks per school, or 9 bucks per document?

i think it's that much for a packet up to a certain number of pages.

i usually sent 4 letters (~8 pages) and it was always $9.

you can find this info on their website. i want to say that if you send electronically it costs less than $9, but i could be wrong. it's been a while. :)

It's 9 bucks per mailing address for up to 10 pages (I think), but its only 6 bucks if done electronically.

Uhh...I used e-delivery to every school. It cost me a bank breaking 2.50 or 4.50 for as many documents as I wanted, the cost depends on your sign up package.

not all schools accept electronic LORs. Yale, for instance, had to be sent snail mail.

Yeah I only had one school that was even more odd then that so I didn't even finish applying there.

Uhh...I used e-delivery to every school. It cost me a bank breaking 2.50 or 4.50 for as many documents as I wanted, the cost depends on your sign up package.

Ditto. I am ready to nominate Interfolio for the next Nobel Prize.

Another question...

Do schools specifically say "Send us your LORs" when they send you secondaries? And do they clearly say they want email or regular mail?

The odd ones will tell you that you must have an authentic nepalese sherpa deliver your letters by goat and must arrive after sundown. They are at least specific (on the whole).

Another question...

Do schools specifically say "Send us your LORs" when they send you secondaries? And do they clearly say they want email or regular mail?

I don't know if they will ask directly with the secondaries, but it's probably a good thing to send LORs out at the same time you receive a secondary (one that you for sure want to submit). With the travel/download time, you'll be complete that much faster.

Interfolio will tell you if a school accepts electronically. If they do, it's best to send LORs that way. Otherwise, send by snail mail.

Yeah...is it 9 bucks per school, or 9 bucks per document?

I thought it was $5 for snail mail, and $4 for electronic delivery. And that's per delivery, not per page or document.

Hmm, apparently I've been getting a good deal.

I'm applying to Texas schools independently (aka- no committee letter) and I have a couple questions about how Interfolio works w/ TMDSAS:

1.) Since TMDSAS requires a form to be sent in w/ the LoR, how exactly would I use this in conjunction w/ Interfolio?

2.) Would my professors have to send their LoR/Evaluation Form by snail mail to Interfolio or could they scan the form in electronically to my Interfolio account?

3.) Also, does Interfolio only send LoRs electronically or do they also send by snail mail?

4.) For AMCAS schools, when a schools says to put my AMCAS ID on the LoR, is it okay to just have it on the Interfolio cover sheet? or does it have to be on the actual letter itself?

1)TMDSAS is kinda like it's own interfolio. You submit your letters using their cover sheet and TMDSAS forwards them on to schools for you. Do not register with interfolio if you are only applying TMDSAS. if you're applying AMCAS as well, then you will need Interfolio. you will submit LORs to TMDSAS AND interfolio in this case.

2)professors can submit letters to interfolio electronically, by fax, or by mail. i sent the cover sheet electronically and let them deal with it however they chose.

3)letters are sent by interfolio to schools either electronically or by snail mail.

4)i only had my amcas number on my interfolio packet. none of my letter writers included it in their letter.

1)TMDSAS is kinda like it's own interfolio. You submit your letters using their cover sheet and TMDSAS forwards them on to schools for you. Do not register with interfolio if you are only applying TMDSAS. if you're applying AMCAS as well, then you will need Interfolio. you will submit LORs to TMDSAS AND interfolio in this case.

2)professors can submit letters to interfolio electronically, by fax, or by mail. i sent the cover sheet electronically and let them deal with it however they chose.

3)letters are sent by interfolio to schools either electronically or by snail mail.

4)i only had my amcas number on my interfolio packet. none of my letter writers included it in their letter.
Thank you so much Jolie! I was getting a bit confused w/ Interfolio and whether or not I should get an account for TMDSAS. I'm still looking at some AMCAS schools so I'll probably still purchase an account but this makes it much easier.

Oh, and one more thing about Question 3.:oops: Since Interfolio is capable of sending snail mail, does this mean schools that aren't listed on the Interfolio website will still receive letters sent from them (like Albany)?