Intern Advice for Incoming Anes PGY-1/ CA-0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
411) DON'T GO HOGGING - If you bang a fat chick nurse, you WILL regret it. In other words, if you work with them, they are not "mopeds." As you know, mopeds are fun to ride but you wouldn't want anyone seeing you do it (Narcotized taught me that term).

LMFAO That is too effin funny, love it.

can't wait to start

:banana:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just two more months, lfesiam, just two more months...

i know pysch, been counting down Q seconds.

light_at_the_end_of_the_tunnel_l.jpg

oops, sorry I thought that was 2 months to START residency for the noobs.

:oops:

If you're looking for a rush, I would definitely do the surfing in Hawaii mentioned above. You may have to go beyond the North Shore on Oahu. Maui and Kauai have some awesome beaches. Catching a 12+ foot wave will be scarier than anything else you've ever done (including sky-diving).

Shameless bump...any other advice is greatly appreciated. :)

What other books are recommended? Clinical Strategies in Medicine, Pocket Medicine, Common intern call guide?

I'm a MS4. I was wondering if you could give me advice about how to maximize my learning this year. I know it's supposed to be a bit chill, but honestly, intern year seems impossible, right now, and I'm eager to try to improve while I can before I get there.

Would reading Bate's and getting better at physical diagnosis go a long way? Or should I schedule as many IM courses in electives to maximize my IM learning (under the presumption that intern year will be a medicine year). The problem with maximizing the IM electives is a rough interview season with little time off.

I'm a MS4. I was wondering if you could give me advice about how to maximize my learning this year. I know it's supposed to be a bit chill, but honestly, intern year seems impossible, right now, and I'm eager to try to improve while I can before I get there.

Would reading Bate's and getting better at physical diagnosis go a long way? Or should I schedule as many IM courses in electives to maximize my IM learning (under the presumption that intern year will be a medicine year). The problem with maximizing the IM electives is a rough interview season with little time off.

Throw Bate's away. You need to be proficient at performing a good neurological, cardiac and pulmonary exam. This is true across most specialties. If your doing a medicine intern year then also know how to palpate the abdomen. If you want to have some preparation for intern year then study for STEP 2, then study for STEP 3, and when you're on your rotations look up on uptodate/pubmed/favorite text book how to manage bread and butter medical problems i.e hypertension, diabetes, COPD etc. I think the best skill set you can have for intern year is being curious, knowing how to look information up, and being organized and efficient.

Throw Bate's away. You need to be proficient at performing a good neurological, cardiac and pulmonary exam. This is true across most specialties. If your doing a medicine intern year then also know how to palpate the abdomen. If you want to have some preparation for intern year then study for STEP 2, then study for STEP 3, and when you're on your rotations look up on uptodate/pubmed/favorite text book how to manage bread and butter medical problems i.e hypertension, diabetes, COPD etc. I think the best skill set you can have for intern year is being curious, knowing how to look information up, and being organized and efficient.

Hey, thanks a lot! I will definitely use this advice. :)

Time for an update...

How are all of my fellow PGY1s doing? I'm just about to finish up month 3 of IM. So much social work bullsh*t/family meetings/etc, but I am getting quicker and better every day and learning some medicine along the way. I have some surgical months coming up (in a categorical program).

Definitely looking forward to anesthesia.

How about the rest of you fellas/ladies?

Time for an update...

How are all of my fellow PGY1s doing? I'm just about to finish up month 3 of IM. So much social work bullsh*t/family meetings/etc, but I am getting quicker and better every day and learning some medicine along the way. I have some surgical months coming up (in a categorical program).

Definitely looking forward to anesthesia.

How about the rest of you fellas/ladies?

Residency is a cake walk so far.... Don't know what I was afraid of as a med student... I've done a month of CCU, SICU, and GI consult now... I have floors next month but only 3 months of them, my toughest month will be trauma surgery... The only thing I need to focus on is reading more, not that I am getting torn apart on rounds, but because I need to study for step3.

ohh and I am not looking forward to floors, but we get very eager med students so that will help... 2 months down 9 to go!!!