intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OkBurgers!

Reaction score
Im really interested in pursuing an internship at the medical examiner office in my area and was just wondering if it would benefit my application when it’s time to apply. I know it’s shallow to do things just because they look good but even though this is something I would love to do, it will take up a lot of my time and I’d like to know if maybe my time could be dedicated to something else that I enjoy but will also benefit me. I’m hoping it’s a good extracurricular?

Members don't see this ad.

Im really interested in pursuing an internship at the medical examiner office in my area and was just wondering if it would benefit my application when it’s time to apply. I know it’s shallow to do things just because they look good but even though this is something I would love to do, it will take up a lot of my time and I’d like to know if maybe my time could be dedicated to something else that I enjoy but will also benefit me. I’m hoping it’s a good extracurricular?
If your only clinical exposure is with dead patients, seek a more live-patient situation. If you have other csignificant clinical experience, medical examiner would be awesome to follow but will not hurt or benefit your application. Be aware, you probably will have to avoid telling any stories about this internship directly involving the patients, as they may be involved in active criminal investigations.

medical examiner would be awesome to follow but will not hurt or benefit your application.

I disagree. It’s definitely unique, and if op enjoys it, that will show. That’s always a benefit. And you can easily tie how a medical examiner helps the people who are left behind through closure and helping convict the bad guys.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It is a good extracurricular. We get one or two applicants with a similar experience each year, and it is eye catching (in a good way). While homicides get all the press, most of what medical examiner's do involves suicides, accidental deaths, and natural deaths. They are basically public health doctors with a fairly unique perspective on society.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a forensic autopsy tech for 2 years before med school and still do it part time (Wouldn't recommend working while in medical school though). I ran our office's undergraduate intern program and am more than willing to answer any and all questions. When I get to a study break I'll come back and add more.

EDIT: And I am back.

You are legitimately interested in this and that speaks volumes. Being able to talk passionately about something that interests you on the interview trail is what you want, the fact it is medical is a good plus. I talked about my experience fairly extensively and used it in my personal statement, and here I am in school now.

This experience can help you immensely, but you need to put into it. You will have an unparalleled level of exposure to a lot of medicine and pathology versus most of your peers. I still recall cases and interesting findings while studying now. Take advantage of this while you are intern to get as much out of the program as you can. If they have a formal learning curriculum in place, great. Otherwise, get cracking.

As far as time commitment goes you will need to find a balance. I had to learn how to balance my schedule and my internship before I was hired, and it was great prep for medical school. Not everything is gonna be super convenient in life and you are gonna have to balance your time well to survive medical school.

If you (or anyone else in a similar boat) has more questions, feel free to PM me. The door is open.

Last edited: