Wandaa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
22
0
Status
alright, i might be getting a little ahead of myself here, but trying to get as much info as possible before making this decision. does anyone have info about the intern year that you do after graduating from med school? is this part of your residency? thanks for the info.
 

john182

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
117
1
Status
Wandaa said:
alright, i might be getting a little ahead of myself here, but trying to get as much info as possible before making this decision. does anyone have info about the intern year that you do after graduating from med school? is this part of your residency? thanks for the info.
After you graduate you have provisional registration to work in Ireland. You must complete an Intern year in Ireland or, e.g., UK or say your US residency intern year would also be accepted. Regardless, after that intern year you get full registration.

It's only *after* the intern year that you start your speciality - medicine, surgery, etc., . The training is done on schemes that are accredited by the ROyal Colleges.

All Irish graduates will get an intern post if they want as it's "part of the basic degree" before you get fully registered (think of it as like passing Step 3, but with no exam). Basically it's "You are competent....now do what you like".

There is very little control over what you get as posts in "prestigious" places may be "reserved" for the top of class for that university hospital. By and large however, it makes no difference.
 

student.ie

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2003
336
2
Status
Attending Physician
john182 said:
All Irish graduates will get an intern post if they want as it's "part of the basic degree" before you get fully registered (think of it as like passing Step 3, but with no exam). Basically it's "You are competent....now do what you like".
All Irish graduates will get an intern post, but not all graduates of Irish medical schools will get intern posts. Intern spaces are filled according to class rank. Excess students are then delt with as follows; Unmatched foreign students are out of luck. Unmatched EU students fill the slots of non-EU student in reverse class rank order. For example, 120 students, 90 EU + 30non-EU, apply for 100 intern spots. 100 spaces fill according to class rank yields lets say 12 unmatched EU and 8 unmatched non-EU. The 12 unmatched EU then take the place of the 11th-22nd highest ranking non-EU. End result 90 EU students matched, 10 non-EU matched, 20 non-EU unemployed. Your likelihood of matching depends on how many of your fellow graduates leave the country. In my example, if 10 went to England and 10 to America, the everyone would be matched. If only 5 went away, the half the foreigners wouldn't get an intern job.
 

Sage880

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
838
1
Canada
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've never done the math, but I've noticed only the top of the class North American students got intern spots here while every single Irish student got one. Gives you even more incentive to make sure you work a little harder if you're not an Irish student!

student.ie said:
All Irish graduates will get an intern post, but not all graduates of Irish medical schools will get intern posts. Intern spaces are filled according to class rank. Excess students are then delt with as follows; Unmatched foreign students are out of luck. Unmatched EU students fill the slots of non-EU student in reverse class rank order. For example, 120 students, 90 EU + 30non-EU, apply for 100 intern spots. 100 spaces fill according to class rank yields lets say 12 unmatched EU and 8 unmatched non-EU. The 12 unmatched EU then take the place of the 11th-22nd highest ranking non-EU. End result 90 EU students matched, 10 non-EU matched, 20 non-EU unemployed. Your likelihood of matching depends on how many of your fellow graduates leave the country. In my example, if 10 went to England and 10 to America, the everyone would be matched. If only 5 went away, the half the foreigners wouldn't get an intern job.