1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Intern year vs. Internal Medicine?? How does this work?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mas1996, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mas1996

Let's say for example you want to do a derm residency (PGY-2-4). You need to find separately a transitional or preliminary year (PGY-1). What happens if you get into derm but not an intern year? What happens if you get into the intern but not term?

Also, I read somewhere that you can do an internal medicine and then do a competitive specialty. How would this work since they last for more than one year? Would you swap out of internal med after PGY-1 into a three year derm program or complete internal med in its entirety and then do the three year derm?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. theWUbear

theWUbear EM PGY1
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm by no means an expert but will try to answer based on what I have learned from my questions on SDN. I could be wrong.

If you don't get your prelim year match but you match into your PGY 2-4 specialty, it is in your best interests to do a good job with 'scramble' and just get somewhere for your prelim year. If you get your prelim year but don't match for an advanced standing residency...enter match again the second year if scramble doesn't work out?

Answering the second paragraph, I think what people were referring to was to do your prelim year in medicine, (Prelim-med). This is, as opposed to prelim-gen surgery or a prelim year in any other possible concentration

4. ozzi22

ozzi22 it's over 9000
    5+ Year Member

this needs to be moved to the general residency issues forum

5. theWUbear

theWUbear EM PGY1
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, ozzi, premeds post in the premed forum and in general should not clog up forums such as allo, rotations, residency, etc. This is general SDN practice.

6. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Step 1: get into medical school.

I realize that sounds trite, but you are putting the cart about 600,000 miles in front of the horse.

7. drziggy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OP is in 9th grade...

8. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    no way...in 9th grade, i was farming gold on runescape

9. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    haha yeah i was chillen and just thinking about volunteering anywhere for high school required community hours and learning piano outside of school stuff. Def. didn't know crap of how residency worked til college days. I mean I knew what residency was before then due to fam. friends kids who were much older then me but not how it all worked til long afterwards.

lol.

10. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For serious? When I was the 9th grade, I was concerned with how I was going to balance playing my PS2 and doing homework. I didn't even know what residency was...

11. mas1996

lol yeah maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. It's just that I'm thinking about applying to Brown's PLME program, but its residency placements for competitive specialties aren't that good. So I'm wondering if doing an internal med would increase your chances.

Trust me, I just want to think about college now, but since PLME is an 8-year commitment, I feel like I don't have that much or a choice than to do some independent research.

12. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    Uh internal medicine is internal medicine. You don't do internal medicine and then do derm.

You match directly into derm. You have to get 240+ kinda step 1 score to even be considered for stuff like Derm, plastics at the most competitive places.

What Internal medicine does lead to is subspecialties:

1. Allergy/immunology
    2. Infectious diseases
    3. geriatrics
    4. Pulmonology/critical care
    5. Cardioloigy
    6. Gastroenterology (GI medicine)
    7. a few others I think I'm forgetting right now.

13. RogueUnicorn

RogueUnicorn rawr.
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    the kid's a bit eager but i don't think there's anything wrong with this q..

14. UnclePhil

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A 9th grader bashing Brown Medical School's match list. That is rich.

15. If you match Derm but not a prelim year, u lose ur Derm spot. This rarely, if ever, happens.

If u match prelim but not Derm, you reapply while in ur intern year. However, it's pretty unlikely to match as a reapplicant, although it can happen

16. gravitywave

gravitywave fourth year
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    to clarify: if you are good enough to get a Derm residency but don't match an intern year, then you've really bungled your match list. even so, you'd be able to scramble into another one, might be an "undesirable" program for whatever reason but you can get one.

it's tough to match later after you miss the mark the first time. people do do it, though. some complete second residencies (Derm after FM, for example.) Again, it's unusual but some do it.