Internal medicine competitiveness difficulty as DO student... Yes Im serious lol.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Always enjoyed general aspects of medicine.
I know many will laugh probably but nonetheless, how hard is it to match into a decent Internal medicine residency program as a DO student??

Would average preclinical grades matter? How well do you need to do in the boards? Jw. thanks.

Anything else I should do to be ready or have my application ready for an internal medicine residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I know many will laugh probably but nonetheless, how hard is it to match into a decent Internal medicine residency program as a DO student??

Would average preclinical grades matter? How well do you need to do in the boards? Jw. thanks.

Anything else I should do to be ready or have my application ready for an internal medicine residency?
Check out NRMP's charting outcomes for DOs (2016). Also see what IM PDs most value in the PD Survey (2016).

Depending on how you define this the answer could be anything from "not too terrible" to "almost impossible."