Internal medicine/family medicine NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medguy24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you expect to be the typical salary for a M-F 9-6 (no call) Internal medicine/family medicine physician working in NYC?
Salary.com gives a salary of about 250k. But from checking the job postings on indeed It seems like 180k is more typical. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What would you expect to be the typical salary for a M-F 9-6 (no call) Internal medicine/family medicine physician working in NYC?
Salary.com gives a salary of about 250k. But from checking the job postings on indeed It seems like 180k is more typical. Any opinions?

Yeah, you ain't getting 250 in NYC for that. I have a friend who works pretty much what you're asking (boarded in IM, not FM) and makes around 180-200.

Yeah, you ain't getting 250 in NYC for that. I have a friend who works pretty much what you're asking (boarded in IM, not FM) and makes around 180-200.

What hours would you think must be worked to make 250k in NYC in internal medicine/family medicine?
Working either M-F or Sun-F and With/without call?

Physicians aren't typically reimbursed on an hourly rate outside of moonlighting. And the moonlighting pay would depend on the specialty/job/etc.

Right, but if I were to pick up an extra shift on Sunday/Saturday--outside my standard job-- at the ER from 7am-7pm, how much would I make as a family medicine/internal medicine doc in NYC?

Right, but if I were to pick up an extra shift on Sunday/Saturday--outside my standard job-- at the ER from 7am-7pm, how much would I make as a family medicine/internal medicine doc in NYC?

I have no personal knowledge of ED moonlighting rates in NYC or if IM or FM trained docs would be able to do that. Mostly it is critical access hospitals that use IM and FM docs like that, and I'm not sure if there are any NYC hospitals that do. Are you a Med student? Are you just basically trying to figure out how to afford to live in NYC as an IM/FM doc? You might want to ask in the IM or FM forums.

lol wow....
what's the normal hourly rate in NYC? How about for moonlighting?

I doubt any hospital in the city will use IM/FM for ED shifts... they will have plenty of EM residents/attending to do that.

While I don't know specifically for NYC, big cities and the NE typically pay less...in Boston it's about 100-130/hr...maybe up to 140 but that is stretching it.

This is not a scenario that makes any sense. If you are not board certified in emergency medicine you can probably work in an ED if you live in the middle of nowhere. If you live in NYC? Not so much.

Reactions: 2 users
On $180,000 of income in Brooklyn you'd pay approximately $36,000 in federal income tax, $13,000 of New York State Tax, $6,500 of New York City Tax, $6,800 in FICA tax and 2,600 of Medicare tax. That comes to just under $65,000 in taxes. The sales tax in New York City is 8.875 %.

The cost of living in Brooklyn is 64% higher than the COL in Minneapolis. You will pay 36,000 per year for a one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. You will never own a house. You won't be able to park a car. Everything you buy including food, utilities, clothing and God knows what will be ridiculously expensive there. Have you thought about paying your student loan debt off?

Have you looked at New York's malpractice climate? It's a joy ride for plaintiffs' lawyers.

By living in New York City you will get the satisfaction of living around people who believe they are so much more sophisticated than the rubes in the Midwest.

On $180,000 of income in Brooklyn you'd pay approximately $36,000 in federal income tax, $13,000 of New York State Tax, $6,500 of New York City Tax, $6,800 in FICA tax and 2,600 of Medicare tax. That comes to just under $65,000 in taxes. The sales tax in New York City is 8.875 %.

The cost of living in Brooklyn is 64% higher than the COL in Minneapolis. You will pay 36,000 per year for a one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. You will never own a house. You won't be able to park a car. Everything you buy including food, utilities, clothing and God knows what will be ridiculously expensive there. Have you thought about paying your student loan debt off?

Have you looked at New York's malpractice climate? It's a joy ride for plaintiffs' lawyers.

By living in New York City you will get the satisfaction of living around people who believe they are so much more sophisticated than the rubes in the Midwest.

You think I wanna live in NYC?? It's just that all of my family and friends (and spouse lol) are here and I wanna be with them.

Reactions: 1 user
You think I wanna live in NYC?? It's just that all of my family and friends (and spouse lol) are here and I wanna be with them.

I actually enjoy visiting NYC. Great restaurants, interesting architecture, and jazz (my avatar is Zoot Sims) are all big draws for me. New Yorkers are more polite than advertised. (I will admit that I despise the Yankees. I have always fantasized being a power pitcher and shutting down the Yankees in Yankee stadium and taking a bow amidst a chorus of boos.) However, New York is not the center of the universe.

Ask your spouse if she wants to: 1) be able to afford having children: 2) see you pay off your loans quickly; 3) double your standard of living; 4) have a 15 minute commute for the two of you; 5) send your kids to decent public schools or affordable private schools; and 6) have a lot less strife and anxiety in your lives. I realize that moving away from family and friends is tough, but practicing medicine on the east coast or California is just plain stupid. Airfares are cheap these days. You can get home often enough. You can skype.

Get yourself a decent job that pays well.

I actually enjoy visiting NYC. Great restaurants, interesting architecture, and jazz (my avatar is Zoot Sims) are all big draws for me. New Yorkers are more polite than advertised. (I will admit that I despise the Yankees. I have always fantasized being a power pitcher and shutting down the Yankees in Yankee stadium and taking a bow amidst a chorus of boos.) However, New York is not the center of the universe.

Ask your spouse if she wants to: 1) be able to afford having children: 2) see you pay off your loans quickly; 3) double your standard of living; 4) have a 15 minute commute for the two of you; 5) send your kids to decent public schools or affordable private schools; and 6) have a lot less strife and anxiety in your lives. I realize that moving away from family and friends is tough, but practicing medicine on the east coast or California is just plain stupid. Airfares are cheap these days. You can get home often enough. You can skype.

Get yourself a decent job that pays well.
Correction: Practicing medicine on the east coast north of Maryland is stupid. Us Southern coastal states pay pretty well and cost of living is very low unless you live actually on the Ocean (and then the only thing more expensive is the actual real estate).

Reactions: 4 users
Correction: Practicing medicine on the east coast north of Maryland is stupid. Us Southern coastal states pay pretty well and cost of living is very low unless you live actually on the Ocean (and then the only thing more expensive is the actual real estate).

Totally agree with this, "east coast" gets a lot of shade thrown around these forums as people assume you're talking more New England I suppose. Like VA Dr said, it is quite reasonable to live in metro areas if you take Baltimore south (obviously there are exceptions, like DC). Coastal areas aren't really that bad, except perhaps historic Charleston and Miami Beach. Jacksonville, Savannah are very affordable to give a couple examples. Even west coast of Florida ain't bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally agree with this, "east coast" gets a lot of shade thrown around these forums as people assume you're talking more New England I suppose. Like VA Dr said, it is quite reasonable to live in metro areas if you take Baltimore south (obviously there are exceptions, like DC). Coastal areas aren't really that bad, except perhaps historic Charleston and Miami Beach. Jacksonville, Savannah are very affordable to give a couple examples. Even west coast of Florida ain't bad.

Well yeah and that's the coast too. Disclosure I'm from Western NY state, moved away on purpose, back in Upstate for fellowship, no plans on staying in the northeast afterwards. I'm not a snow lover. But there are plenty of places to live in the northeast which are both medium or small metro and decent for practice. They aren't Boston or NYC, but believe it or not the northeast isn't limited to those cities.

Well yeah and that's the coast too. Disclosure I'm from Western NY state, moved away on purpose, back in Upstate for fellowship, no plans on staying in the northeast afterwards. I'm not a snow lover. But there are plenty of places to live in the northeast which are both medium or small metro and decent for practice. They aren't Boston or NYC, but believe it or not the northeast isn't limited to those cities.
SC would love to have you

SC would love to have you

Ha and I would love it! I'm hoping to be closer to family in Houston at the end of this nightmare they call fellowship but we'll see what's available when I start looking in a year or so.

I was in the south for residency (again, on purpose)! I'm not looking forward to winter at all. It's been 14 years since I thought about snow boots, snow tires, real sweaters.

Stupid fellowship.