Internal Medicine In and Around DC and Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obscure

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, currently a 3rd year that's looking into residency options in the DC area. Interested in internal medicine, but I'm a little lost on how to figure out which places would be good to apply to or do away rotations in. What do you look for for "quality" and how do I know whether I'd be a good match?

I'm looking at Georgetown, GW, WHC, Hopkins - Bayview, University of Maryland, etc.

For example, I notice that WHC has many positions filled with IMGs. Is this a bad thing? I've heard good things about the program from people in DC, but there's always a stereotype that IMG dominated programs are "less desirable" for some reason. What about Georgetown vs GW? Which program is better and how do I find out?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I’m concerned UMD=Hopkins bayview>Georgetown>>>>gwu>whc

Hey guys, currently a 3rd year that's looking into residency options in the DC area. Interested in internal medicine, but I'm a little lost on how to figure out which places would be good to apply to or do away rotations in. What do you look for for "quality" and how do I know whether I'd be a good match?

I'm looking at Georgetown, GW, WHC, Hopkins - Bayview, University of Maryland, etc.

For example, I notice that WHC has many positions filled with IMGs. Is this a bad thing? I've heard good things about the program from people in DC, but there's always a stereotype that IMG dominated programs are "less desirable" for some reason. What about Georgetown vs GW? Which program is better and how do I find out?

Check your PM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Georgetown and GW programs are about equal. In fact, they rotate at many of the same sites such as DC VA Medical Center, NIH, and previously at Iniva Fairfax(no longer). Both are a step above WHC.

Georgetown and GW programs are about equal. In fact, they rotate at many of the same sites such as DC VA Medical Center, NIH, and previously at Iniva Fairfax(no longer). Both are a step above WHC.

This I disagree with. National reputation is significantly better for Georgetown. Georgetown is solidly mid tier, GWU less so

Reactions: 1 user
Kaiser is starting a new IM residency program in July 2020 in the DC area. Might as well apply if area restricted.