Internal Medicine Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

putnamchen

md 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, below is my credentials, I would like to know how competitive I am as an applicant if I apply to internal medicine residency programs mainly in the northeast (I would like to end up in either Boston or New York):

School: mid tier school in New England
Step 1 and Step 2 scores: 254 and 264
Honors: Ob/gyn, peds and medicine
Passes: there are surgery, family medicine and psychiatry

Thoughts?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, below is my credentials, I would like to know how competitive I am as an applicant if I apply to internal medicine residency programs mainly in the northeast (I would like to end up in either Boston or New York):

School: mid tier school in New England
Step 1 and Step 2 scores: 254 and 264
Honors: Ob/gyn, peds and medicine
Passes: there are surgery, family medicine and psychiatry

Thoughts?
Thanks

I'm in a similar boat with a similar step 1 with an honor so far and no honors in years 1/2. While we wait for more experienced posters, I'll share my thoughts/experience.

My mentors said to apply to these big city places and not to expect any T10-20 but that I'll likely be very competitive and satisfied with my results.

I think what you need to consider (especially if you're interested in fellowship) is to find a solid IM program tied to a respected academic center. I've seen a lot of people say you're guaranteed to match in whatever city you'd like for those stats but I feel like matching at a community hospital somewhere in Chicago vs. matching NW/UC/Rush/(no disrespect if I'm forgetting others) would be significant difference.

I think a big factor with these academic places is research as well. It seems like you've already applied and are posting for anxiety-relief at this point but I'd say if you're still interviewing (not sure if it's going on) try to play up your research and your potential to do it.

Best of luck and post after you match!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pretty competitive, you'll end up in a good place.

Reactions: 1 user