osprey099

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How often do IM programs sent out interview invites from 9/15 - Early October (before dean's letter get sent out)? I know it's probably school specific but without the dean's letter, do they typically just send invites to those who crushed step 1 and have lots of honors?

WiseOne

7+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2011
Status
I only have 1 letter in and have 4 interviews already. Dean's letter not in yet.

Last edited:

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2012
One of the least sought- after postal codes
Status
Medical Student
No. I have average scores for IM--240s/250s-- attend an unranked med school, not AOA--I have five IM invites.

About the Ads
Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
not involved with IM, but most programs will look at high step scores and assume the rest of your application will be reflective of that number, and if your letters/grades are decent it corroborates that. The Dean's letter won't be overly revealing, might get a class rank out of it but those are increasingly deceiving

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How often do IM programs sent out interview invites from 9/15 - Early October (before dean's letter get sent out)? I know it's probably school specific but without the dean's letter, do they typically just send invites to those who crushed step 1 and have lots of honors?
I feel this is going to vary on many things and we'll confuse ourselves by trying to make sense of it all. I'm sure it's really simple as in schools look at your transcript, Step 1/2 scores, maybe read your personal statement and send invites to those who meet some arbitrary criteria (not necessarily amazing criteria). Also, discrepancy between people on here will depend on self-selection. Is a 260/270, AOA/GHHS, multiple publication PhD, w/ all-honors going to apply to lesser regarded community programs as safeties?

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbecue
Sep 17, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Top 15 school, 250 Step 1 (CK pending), extra research year + lots of pubs, good LORs, no AOA. Applied to 15 top-tier & 15 mid-tier schools, and have 1 interview so far.

I'm holding on to the statistic that ~85% of interviews are offered after Oct 1... but still a little terrified that I may have shot too high with my program selections

DBV

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2017
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel this is going to vary on many things and we'll confuse ourselves by trying to make sense of it all. I'm sure it's really simple as in schools look at your transcript, Step 1/2 scores, maybe read your personal statement and send invites to those who meet some arbitrary criteria (not necessarily amazing criteria). Also, discrepancy between people on here will depend on self-selection. Is a 260/270, AOA/GHHS, multiple publication PhD, w/ all-honors going to apply to lesser regarded community programs as safeties?
Is this to mean that only community programs are handing out interviews? Because that's not the case I have received some high profile invites already.

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is this to mean that only community programs are handing out interviews? Because that's not the case I have received some high profile invites already.
Meh I suppose you're right, but the overall point is that a competitive applicant won't be applying to the same places as the average applicant.

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Top 15 school, 250 Step 1 (CK pending), extra research year + lots of pubs, good LORs, no AOA. Applied to 15 top-tier & 15 mid-tier schools, and have 1 interview so far.

I'm holding on to the statistic that ~85% of interviews are offered after Oct 1... but still a little terrified that I may have shot too high with my program selections
If by top tier you mean the top 20 or so programs by reputation and then 15 just below that, I would consider adding may be a few more...idk, I'm as blind to this as everyone else and personally applied to 70 upper mid tier to lower tiered places. I don't have your school prestige or research though and if I did I'd have considered applying to top places.

I know reading Match lists is frowned upon on SDN so I could only imagine the reactions of some members when I say I've been using fellowship matches as a strong criteria. Anyways, the point is I've noticed that it's not like lower tiered academic IM programs don't match competitive fellowships, but it's more about where they match.

Last edited:

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2012
One of the least sought- after postal codes
Status
Medical Student
2024 called and wants their IM averages back.
Average Step 1 for matched IM applicants was 233 in 2016-- mostly like 234/235 in 2017, and most probably will be 236/237 this year. A Step 1 score in the low 240s is pretty close to average these days.

Milotic

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Average Step 1 for matched IM applicants was 233 in 2016-- mostly like 234/235 in 2017, and most probably will be 236/237 this year. A Step 1 score in the low 240s is pretty close to average these days.
Posters like you make SDN SDN.

Reactions: F1rstGen
About the Ads