Internal Medicine Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prufrock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency programs send out rejection emails or do they just not contact you if you're not chosen for an interview. In addition, will programs extend interviews up until the end of January or do they all make interview decisions by November or December?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

rejections by email.

Rest assured, most programs will contact you but some programs never bother to. You can assume after mid February that you aren't getting an interview at those programs! :rolleyes:

Yet another example of the frustrating application experience - pay your money and never hear from the programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the average cost per residency application? I've heard of people applying to 25-30 different programs and am wondering what this would cost? Thanks.

Basically, applications are sent via ERAS for most specialties. It costs around $250 for up to 30 programs but the fee for each program over 30 is $15 a program. Therefore, the fee climbs steeply if you apply to over 30 programs.

Do most IM programs wait until the deadline for applications and then look at the whole pool or are interviews given out as applications are sent in?

prufrock,

i was just wondering if you are also waiting to hear from IM programs in New York (I noticed that you are located in NYC). I've heard from fewer than half of the NYC IM programs I applied to, and I'm also getting anxious. Maybe you're right... maybe they're waiting for most of their application to be complete before sending decisions. I'm not sure if no news is good news of bad news these days!

good luck!
-cardigan

Cardigan, I sympathize! I've gotten interviews at St. Vincent's, Montefiore/Einstein, Beth Israel, and NYU so far. No news yet from Mt. Sinai, Columbia, or Cornell. I'm also applying outside NYC (but not CA). I've pretty much heard from every program I applied to with the exception of the really big guns. How about you?

prufrock,

well, if it makes you feel any better, those are the same NYC programs that i haven't heard from. maybe we can assume that they haven't started making decisions yet. i guess i'm waiting for those so called "big guns" (boston, san fran, etc), and some medium sized guns as well. but i'd really like to be in new york, and therefore will continue to wait anxiously. i'll keep you posted-

-cardigan

Cardigan, I know for a fact that those programs haven't looked at all the applications yet b/c I know many people who haven't heard yet. I think I just applied really early. We'll be calling you a veteran New Yorker before you know it!

Cardigan and Prufrock,

Let us band together...
(..and be obsessive compulsive medical students till the end!!!)

I am also in "big gun" program limbo!!

I have interviews at Beth Isreal, St. Vincents, and NY Methodist.

NYC programs I am still waiting for;
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Lennox Hill
St. Lukes

The med. student part of me is checking my email a billion times, but the rational part of me is telling me it has been only 6 or so days since Dean's Letters have been released. ;)

peace,
S0upb0ne

Big gun limbo describes it perfectly! It's just been so eerily quiet since the Dean's Letter went out but it seems like my friends applying for other fields are in the same boat.

Hopefully the deluge will begin again in the next 2 weeks. Let's keep each other posted!

Weird, I got the vast majority of my interviews before dean's letter, and only two afterwards.

hmm...

Originally posted by jdaasbo:
•Weird, I got the vast majority of my interviews before dean's letter, and only two afterwards.

Hmm...•••

That's because most interviewers screen with USMLE scores...

Members don't see this ad :)
I too received the vast majority of my interviews before the Dean's Letter went out. I was only referring to a select few programs that I haven't heard from yet, and they happen to be the most prestigious (whether they're the best, I don't know). It's also possible that we're applying to completely different programs.

Sorry to interrupt here--

Prufrock, I just sent you a private message.

--kris

right back at you Kris.

just to keep those who are interested up to date: columbia and mount sinai have started sending out interviews. i haven't heard anything about cornell, however.

good luck to all!
-cardigan

I got news for ya....Columbia and Cornell both have sent out interview offers waaaay back. As a matter of fact, I have an interview on Nov 30 at Columbia. So, if you haven't heard from these programs by now....umm, good luck. I will keep y'all posted after the interview. Hang in there.

Well.....

I guess that answers my questions about Columbia and Cornell since they started giving out interviews "waay back."

If anybody else has any other interview info on any other NYC programs, please post.

Still checking my email eagerly,

S0upb0ne

I got news for ya....Columbia and Cornell both have sent out interview offers waaaay back. As a matter of fact, I have an interview on Nov 30 at Columbia. So, if you haven't heard from these programs by now....umm, good luck. I will keep y'all posted after the interview. Hang in there. ••

Sandpaper, are you applying in Internal Medicine? In my previous post, I was referring to Internal Med residencies. I'm pretty certain that this is the first week that Columbia IM has been offering interviews.

Soupbone, its hardly at the hopeless stage- many of these programs are just starting business!

-cardigan

I believe Sandpaper is applying to Anesthesia programs -- he/she has been posting regarding those residency interviews in another thread. As far as NY IM programs, I know that Cornell and Mount Sinai have both started sending out interviews. Haven't heard about Columbia, though...

Another internal medicine applicant anxiously waiting ... I'm curious whether anyone has heard from Brigham, MGH or BI yet? I've only heard from half of my programs at this point (I'm also still waiting for Wash U, U Penn, Yale) and I'm starting to get nervous ... so if anyone knows anything about the status of these programs for IM, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

I'm waiting for the same programs. I can't tell if this is getting late or not. If any of you are applying to NYU, I got an interview about 3 weeks ago, so I know they've started offering. Post if anyone has news!

I'm waiting on the exact same programs as you, Krabi. I believe Yale just started sending out interview invitations this week, but no word on the others.

I'm getting kind of nervous, too, but I have also heard that a lot of the IM programs run on a slower schedule than the other specialties. As far as MGH, I thought I remembered seeing an email from them way long ago where they said that they were waiting until after their Nov. 10th deadline to start reviewing applications.

After reading Sandpapers post...

I really started to get very very very anxious about interviews.

<I guess I can put my plans of becoming a bounty hunter and hunting down Bin Laden on hold for a second ;) >

Has anyone got an interview at Northwestern yet?
I recieved the "we are reviewing apps" note.

Let continue to keep each other posted.

Soupbone

Wow, there's lots of activity on this thread all of a sudden... I'm kinda glad there are others in the same boat! I'm also anxiously awaiting the 3 Harvard programs. I did get an interview at U Penn- they sent it by regular mail last week, so check your mailbox. I know Columbia and Yale have just started sending interviews this week. For those of you who have interviews at Cornell, when did you hear? Switching to the west coast, did anyone apply to UCSF? Any news? I've already received the proverbial gank from Stanford :(

-cardigan

to answer some of the questions here, i have received responses from Wash U and NW, but still waiting on the 3 Harvard programs and UPenn

Just to keep things up to date - I heard from the Brigham and Yale via email this morning. As for the question re: Cornell, I heard about a week ago. No word yet from any others. Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Hey Cardigan, I'm sorry to hear about Stanford. :( I was thinking that it's kind of weird (or maybe bad luck) to be having an Internal Medicine interview discussion on a thread titled "Residency Interview Rejections"....

I heard from UCSF about 2 weeks ago, and I heard from Cornell only last week, so there still is time. And for anyone waiting on those pesky Harvard programs, I heard from Brigham today. Still waiting, though, for Columbia, Yale, Wash U, MGH, BI, etc...

Here's another question just out of curiosity: are you guys applying for categorical or primary care? I'm a categorical gal myself. :)

Crazy good day. I just heard from Penn via email. :D

Originally posted by ajm:
•I was thinking that it's kind of weird (or maybe bad luck) to be having an Internal Medicine interview discussion on a thread titled "Residency Interview Rejections"....
•••

You are probably right..

Maybe we start a new thread or get one of the moderators to change the title of the thread.

<cant the person who started the thread change the name of the thread>

S0upb0ne

Also heard from Brigham today... Yay! I've really had my fingers crossed for this one.

Am I really the only one here who's been rejected anywhere? Ouch. (well, I guess I can handle it- you all seem to be some pretty formidable company!)

To ajm: I'm also applying categorical.

-cardigan

Soupbone, I have heard from Northwestern. On the west coast, has anybody heard from the University of Washington or UCLA?

West coast programs: I've heard nothing from UCLA -- what's taking them so darn long? University of Washington I just heard from last week.

Hey guys, I thought I would revive this thread with a couple of updates and a question:

The Harvard programs (MGH, BI, Brigham) are all now officially sending notifications.

Has anyone heard from UCLA? I'm really wondering what's going on over there...

To cardigan: You're certainly not the only person who has gotten rejected from somewhere. I just got the boot from MGH. At least they waited until after Thanksgiving! ;)

Do you guys mind sharing what medical school are you graduating from?

Thanx

Welcome back after the holiday everyone... Soupbone and ajm, you guys can't beat me- I'm holding a fistful of rejections. But I know I''ve been lucky- I do have interviews at many of my top choices. This process is damn arbitrary. BTW, MGH's rejection letter- traditional and elegant; Stanford's rejection- just plain rude!

Good luck!
-cardigan

UCLA seems to still be a mystery. As for the others, some of the acceptances and rejections seem a bit arbitrary. The University of Washington has sent out some invitations thus far.

Ah, Cardigan, you underestimate me! I, too, have a couple more rejections up my sleeve! The funny thing is that out of the programs that rejected me (other than MGH), I was thinking about bailing on their interviews if I had received them. Guess they read my mind and decided to do preemptive strikes. :)

MGH was my most graceful rejection letter, but it also was the most painful to read... I do like how they actually admitted that their selection process becomes very arbitrary. I'm very happy about the interviews I've received so far, though -- all my top choices have been very nice to me.

Okay, here's the scoop about UCLA. I got impatient with them, and called to see what was going on. They said that they just sent out all of their interview decisions yesterday through regular mail, so check your mailbox over the next couple of days.

I got an invite from UCLA the day after Thanksgiving. I did get the rejecto from UCSF, Stanford and UCSD already- d'oh!!

I am in my second year of medical school and am trying to figure out this residency process in IM.
Someone said that residnecy programs screen base on USMLE 1 score, is this true? If so, I was wondering what scores are needed for any of the above average IM programs (like AECOM or USC) to pass the cut-off. Also, what is the relative importance of Dean's letter, Clinical grades, preclinical grades, connections...etc factor into this? Thanks.

Step 1 score is the biggest screening factor, so score well and you will have a foot in the door at most instiutions. Thereafter comes everything else (e.g, grades, class standing, etc.)

Basically, just try to kick ass in everything and you should be ok. Sounds easy huh.

Has everyone heard from Columbia already? If so, when did you hear? Are they still giving out interviews? Has anyone received a rejection letter from them? Thanx!

Of people who interviewed at the Boston schools, what do they think comparatively of the programs? My take so far:

BI Deaconess - Very touchy-feely, great learning environment, awe-inspiring facilities. And hey, it's the "House of God"! How cool is that? Only downside seems to be that it is not considered to be at the same level as the other Harvard schools.

Brigham & Womens - Also very tight-knit supportive bunch, a little less so than BI, the most academic environment I have ever seen, tons of very diverse and brilliant people, they seem to really care for their housestaff.

MGH - Ask me after I interview next month.

I would appreciate any other input. Thanks!

Brigham & Womens is "House of God". Beth Israel Deaconess is called the "Penalty Box".