Internal medicine minimum step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be a minimum step score if I wanted to land a residency at a community hospital in an urban area? For ex. Boston, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Washington D.C., LA, etc.

I don't care the reputation of the hospital as long as I'm within one of the cities I mentioned. I'm mostly interested in community hospitals as I have no intention of working at academic hospitals.

Would 220 be fine?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As someone who grew up in a town of 736, our definitions of rural seem to differ lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
“Rural area”
“Boston, Seattle, Chicago...”
Wut

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be a minimum step score if I wanted to land a residency at a community hospital in an rural area? For ex. Boston, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Washington D.C., LA, etc.

I don't care the reputation of the hospital as long as I'm within one of the cities I mentioned. I'm mostly interested in community hospitals as I have no intention of working at academic hospitals.

Would 220 be fine?

Thanks

You have three of the most populated cities in the US on your list, this is not rural lol

In general, the higher the step 1, the better. For IM, there are highly malignant programs in places like NYC you want to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user
You have three of the most populated cities in the US on your list, this is not rural lol

In general, the higher the step 1, the better. For IM, there are highly malignant programs in places like NYC you want to avoid.

Can we get a list of them?

Reactions: 1 user