Internal Medicine or Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cks1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Need some advice? I got matched in Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology. Maybe I because I got a good step 1 score 276. But anyways I am confused between these? I will give you some silly reasons why I don't like Anesthesiology. I hate wearing scrubs because it makes look like a nurse. But I like pharmacology and physiology but I hate math. Don't think I like this field of Money. It's that 5 of my friends went into Anesthesia. But can a MD Anesthesiologist work in Dental Office wearing professional attire.

I like Internal Medicine because I get to work as hospitalist maybe 8 to 5. Or I am thinking to do 5 year combined residency in both.

I would like to know the future outlook of these careers like 2020?
I am 25 year old woman. I want to have my family someday, Which is best choice for me

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your biggest concern about a specialty is what you will be wearing while you are doing your job, you should probably reevaluate your priorities.

No one on SDN is capable of seeing the future.

What is best for your family depends largely on what you want for them. More money, more time, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys,

Need some advice? I got matched in Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology. Maybe I because I got a good step 1 score 276. But anyways I am confused between these? I will give you some silly reasons why I don't like Anesthesiology. I hate wearing scrubs because it makes look like a nurse. But I like pharmacology and physiology but I hate math. Don't think I like this field of Money. It's that 5 of my friends went into Anesthesia. But can a MD Anesthesiologist work in Dental Office wearing professional attire.

I like Internal Medicine because I get to work as hospitalist maybe 8 to 5. Get to meet new patients in hospital and wear professional attire. Or I am thinking to do 5 year combined residency in both.

I would like to know the future outlook of these careers like 2020?
I am 25 year old woman. I want to have my family someday, Which is best choice for me
Why not dermatology with a Step 1 of 276 (assuming you've also done very well in med school so far, etc.)? Generally speaking, it seems to fit the things you want really well?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're a total douchebag.

Reactions: 11 users
Your story doesn't make sense. Maybe because it's written like those scam emails from some Arabian or African prince who wants you to cash their inheritance check.

Rite guder yo.

Reactions: 5 users
You're a total douchebag.

I very rarely agree with you, but here... here I have to agree with you.

Mark my words, years from now people will look back and say "that was the post that healed wounds on the board". Everyone could agree; that guy was a douchebag.

Reactions: 3 users
I very rarely agree with you, but here... here I have to agree with you.

Mark my words, years from now people will look back and say "that was the post that healed wounds on the board". Everyone could agree; that guy was a douchebag.

Great. And mark MY words - there is currently no scientific means to detect how little I care about whether or not you agree or disagree with me.

Reactions: 1 user
how do you match into 2 specialties. i thought you have to rank one or the other higher. sounds like a troll.

Reactions: 1 user
how do you match into 2 specialties. i thought you have to rank one or the other higher. sounds like a troll.
I think there are combined specialties in things like peds/IM, peds/anesthesiology, IM/anesthesiology, etc. But only at certain places. Although I doubt this is what OP had in mind. And none of this changes the fact that you are probably right about OP being a troll. :)

OP looks like she's a foreign grad. That's probably why no dermatology even with a 276.

As horrible as this sounds, I don't think she's trolling either.

Reactions: 2 users
As someone whom has sat on interview boards a 276 without context means nothing. Many fmg may have 260+ board scores but they study for step 1 an entire year or years. Versus a US MS 1 whom has 6 weeks of uniterupted time for step 1. Even with your 276 move along........

I don't think she's an FMG. They need both steps taken before being able to work even as a J-1. I would rather bet on a troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
This so ridiculous, so out of touch, *this* if nothing else is proof how bad Carrib is.