Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Internal Medicine Residency Before RadOnc Residency?

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by LarLonners, Dec 1, 2008.

1. LarLonners

Medical Student
    I'm a third year medical student, intend on applying for RadOnc, but I'm also interested in completing a residency in IM, not just the intern year that more conventional applicants carry out. Is this something people do? Can I apply to RadOnc residency programs next year and defer the start of my residency until I complete IM? Do people who apply for RadOnc residency while they're still Medicine residents have a more difficult time matching?

I realize this is a question not often asked by RadOnc applicants. Will my desire to complete a medicine residency be a strike against me when I rotate in different RadOnc departments?

Any input at all will help a lot... Thanks.

2. Gfunk6

Gfunk6 And to think . . . I hesitated
    Physician PhD Faculty Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  3. radonc

radonc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. RetroX

RetroX New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You are better off doing a radiology residency prior to radiation oncology residency... that would be priceless.

5. The_Flyy

The_Flyy New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ugh. Totally disagree. Little useful here besides the redundancy of general rads physics and CT/MRI. A waste.

6. RetroX

RetroX New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I find background knowledge in radiology extremely helpful in CNS and head/neck cases when cranial nerves are involved... The same applies for abdominal imagings. Radiation Oncologists with radiology training are highly desirable. Certainly not a waste, but a plus.