Internal Medicine Shelf/Step 2 or Level 2 material advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey all, current MS3 DO student will start IM next month (currently on a Neuro elective that is pretty chill) and will finish it in 3 months since IM is 3 months at my school.
Tips about what to use for the IM shelf / step 2 (Level 2)..? I will use UWORLD Step 2 (#1 source), Online Med videos/resources (#2 source..?), Step Up to Medicine, maybe First Aid (wasn't really told to use this for IM), Clinical Case Files (preferred over FA by some). So yeah any other material to use and advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I watched the OME videos, did a ton of UW questions, and bought mastering the boards to write in the margins from UW. IM comat was my absolute best score

I watched the OME videos, did a ton of UW questions, and bought mastering the boards to write in the margins from UW. IM comat was my absolute best score
Thanks! Really appreciate it friend. How was 'mastering the boards?' I was recommended Step Up to Med for IM.. how does step up compare to Mastering the boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
For level/step 2 just pick one. Which one isn’t as important as level/step 1. I tried FA step 2 and hated the layout so I bought MTB. I had a friend that loved step up to med. It has more detailed info than MTB but I felt it was overkill. Like I said I wrote in the details I was missing from UW block answers. I loved MTB and would recommend it to anyone.

For level/step 2 just pick one. Which one isn’t as important as level/step 1. I tried FA step 2 and hated the layout so I bought MTB. I had a friend that loved step up to med. It has more detailed info than MTB but I felt it was overkill. Like I said I wrote in the details I was missing from UW block answers. I loved MTB and would recommend it to anyone.
Thanks I appreciate it.. Any advice for the other shelfs like peds, OB, FM, surgery?

For the IM shelf, all I used was UWorld. I had the Step Up to Medicine book (which is great if there is something I needed read about, especially for rotations), but I didn't use it for the shelf exam because its not something that I could memorize or read cover to cover. A few onlinemeded videos were great to establish some foundation in certain topics, but I'd say that the UWorld is where the bulk of your learning comes from, and should be more than enough to pass your shelf exam.
For the other shelf exams, they all basically followed the same pattern for me: Onlinemeded + UWorld. Those two are usually the most important things to learn and nail down during rotations. People usually add +/- 1 additional resource, depending on personal preference.
1. For Peds and OBGYN, those two resources are all I used (People say that Case Files is good for OBGYN, but I never used it or needed it).
2. For surgery, I added Pestana's Surgery book (easy to get through it in 2 days).
3. For FM, I just used Case Files FM (because there is no UWorld for FM).
4. Psych may be an outlier, because the most important resource in my opinion, is the First Aid for Psych Clerkship. Memorize that cold, and with UWorld, you should be more than ready for the psych shelf exam.