Internal medicine specialty is not under primary care?

D

deleted1058524

I like working at a hospital and seeing acute patients. There's a fulfillment in seeing the sickest patients getting better under my care.
However, I would love to work for the underserved population in outpatient setting like free medical clinic.

My ideal future is working at a community hospital as a hospitalist (part time?)and also want to work at outpatient clinic.
So I was interested in IM specialty and I thought it was under primary care. I've been writing this on my secondaries to question like "what specialty are you most interested?"

Is it not?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
General internal medicine is considered a primary care specialty (by the US government and most others).
Sub-specialty training (fellowship after IM residency) is not considered primary care.

Reactions: 1 users
Jun 24, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Did someone tell you IM is not primary care? Like the above expert pointed, IM by itself is definitely primary care. IM with a sub-specialty is not and IM is the basis for several such sub-specialties.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.