Aug 28, 2018
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

I am currently an OMS-IV slated to start an IM residency in June. However, after some soul-searching and research, I realized that Psychiatry was the right path for me. I already signed the contract and am basically stuck for intern year. I was wondering what options I have for how to go about doing this transfer or if I should just go through the Match again. I scrambled into this residency most likely due to having to take the PE twice and having my passing score arrive in early March. However, I definitely don't want to have to go through the SOAP again if I don't have to.

I was also wondering when I should let my program know and some tips on how to make myself more competitive for programs during this process.

Thank you!

Reactions: QueenJames

Bartelby

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I believe a good number of programs accept PGY-2s. You will need your current program director's support, so you have to let them know in time to write you a letter. I would do the intern year and then apply for one of those PGY-2 spots

Reactions: St347

MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
still on the right side of the dirt
Status
Attending Physician
So we got rid of the TY year and oral boards, but now we have MOC and shelf tests with clinical skills exams. Things don't seem to change that much.

Reactions: St347