Quantcast

Internal medicine/urgent care question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blovely1338

Reaction score
Can an internal medicine docotor work at an urgent care clinic that has pediatric patients? I know med-ped grads can, but I am not clear if being certified in internal medicine precludes treating children for walk-in type illnesses or not (IM doctors occasional see peds in an ER setting, correct?)

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can an internal medicine docotor work at an urgent care clinic that has pediatric patients? I know med-ped grads can, but I am not clear if being certified in internal medicine precludes treating children for walk-in type illnesses or not (IM doctors occasional see peds in an ER setting, correct?)

That's all up to the facility paying you to work in their urgent care. Your license granted by the state allows you to practice medicine and surgery, and that technically you can do brain surgery if you could find a patient and a hospital stupid enough to let you. The scope of your practice is defined by you generally, though legally you are held to a standard of care and if you have not trained in an area it is perhaps not unreasonable to assume you are not able to provide the necessary standard of care. So if you want to work in an urgent care that sees kids and they allow you to see kids, you'll need to brush up on your ambulatory peds, and know when to send to an ER for further work-up.

Blovely1338

Reaction score
That's all up to the facility paying you to work in their urgent care. Your license granted by the state allows you to practice medicine and surgery, and that technically you can do brain surgery if you could find a patient and a hospital stupid enough to let you. The scope of your practice is defined by you generally, though legally you are held to a standard of care and if you have not trained in an area it is perhaps not unreasonable to assume you are not able to provide the necessary standard of care. So if you want to work in an urgent care that sees kids and they allow you to see kids, you'll need to brush up on your ambulatory peds, and know when to send to an ER for further work-up.

So, If I graduated from a medicine program and wanted to start my own urgent care clinic and see kids all day, that wouldn't be a problem?
I guess getting malpractice insurance would be biggest hurdle? Would that be a problem?

thanks

Reaction score
So, If I graduated from a medicine program and wanted to start my own urgent care clinic and see kids all day, that wouldn't be a problem?
I guess getting malpractice insurance would be biggest hurdle? Would that be a problem?

thanks

Even if you could pull it off, why would you want to? If something ever goes to court, I am sure the plaintiff's lawyer would easily find an expert witness to say 'well, any trained pediatrician would have recognized this disease'.

If you want to start an urgent care clinic and see kids all day, pediatrics might be a better choice. Just saying.

Blovely1338

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if it is something that is done by medicine docs on any regular basis at all.

Medicine docs do see kids that come through the ER, yes?

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

I don't understand the question. See only kids all day? If so, that's a horrible idea. You really don't see the problem there?

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score

You 'can' do plastic surgery and deliver babies if you really wanted with your M.D. degree. However, trying to get board certified/insured to do so is a completely different thing.

Same would hold true with Pediatrics for a board certified Internist. You would find it just near impossible to get certified/insured to do Peds in any capacity as an Internist.

You should consider Family Medicine instead of IM if you want to see adults and children.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if it is something that is done by medicine docs on any regular basis at all.

Medicine docs do see kids that come through the ER, yes?

Emergency Medicine docs see kids that come through the ED. So do Family Medicine docs. Internal Medicine not so much.

MedPedsResident

Reaction score
Every ER doc I know trained in both peds and adult emergency medicine. They actually rotate through pediatric wards, peds trauma surgery, etc. as part of the ER program.

I know of zero IM docs that see kids. I guess that doesn't mean none do.

Many med-peds, family medicine, ER, and even a few of the rare general practitioners out there see kids, but I would think your liability in seeing kids with only medical school and Internal Medicine training would be high.

I do know someone who did IM and then switched to ER and did two more years of residency (the first year in that ER program was IM anyway). He sees all comers to the ER.

Unsure if that helps or not.