Internal Medicine VS. Dermatology?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone?

I have a quick question... I am undecided between these specialities and asked a few friends for advice. One of my friends brought up an interesting point, he said "Why lock yourself into derm? when you can go into IM and broaden your scope?" he told me that I could still do derm procedures, but could I do all derm procedures as an IM?!?

Could someone let me know,

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

wow... how helpful thanks :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting question . . . I am sure IMed docs can do many derm cosmetic procedures as long as they become certified to do so. If Derm is what you're really interested in though, why not first try to get into a Derm program? It's super competitive, but you could always use the IMed doing derm procedures as your plan B, although the 3 years of IMed could prove brutal if it's not what you're interested in.

Seems like IMs and FPs can do almost all of the derm procedures now a days. Many agencies offer courses on dermatology for primary care providers.

NRAI2001 said:
Seems like IMs and FPs can do almost all of the derm procedures now a days. Many agencies offer courses on dermatology for primary care providers.

see that's my point... what's the point of doing a derm residency if I can get IM and still keep 'my options open' and do the same things dermatologists do?!? why kill myself now and stress out over getting a derm residency?!?

IM makes more sense......... what do you guys think.......?

ocean11 said:
see that's my point... what's the point of doing a derm residency if I can get IM and still keep 'my options open' and do the same things dermatologists do?!? why kill myself now and stress out over getting a derm residency?!?

IM makes more sense......... what do you guys think.......?

If you are primarily interested in derm and not really into treating diseases affecting other organ systems, then I would say just the opposite - that derm makes more sense. If you do an IM residency but no derm training, you will most likely not be able to limit your practice entirely to derm (as far as I know, anyway...others can correct me if I'm wrong). You will spend a good amount of your future career dealing with non-dermatologic diseases. Remember also that there is a reason derm is so competitive and IM is not. The lifestyle of a dermatologist during both residency and practice is significantly better than that of an internist. Doing IM is a lot of work if it's not going to be enjoyable and fulfilling for you.

On the other hand, if you are actually interested in all of IM but just happen to want to do derm procedures, then IM might be a reasonable option.

Hope this helps!

BigBadBix said:
If you are primarily interested in derm and not really into treating diseases affecting other organ systems, then I would say just the opposite - that derm makes more sense. If you do an IM residency but no derm training, you will most likely not be able to limit your practice entirely to derm (as far as I know, anyway...others can correct me if I'm wrong). You will spend a good amount of your future career dealing with non-dermatologic diseases. Remember also that there is a reason derm is so competitive and IM is not. The lifestyle of a dermatologist during both residency and practice is significantly better than that of an internist. Doing IM is a lot of work if it's not going to be enjoyable and fulfilling for you.

On the other hand, if you are actually interested in all of IM but just happen to want to do derm procedures, then IM might be a reasonable option.

Hope this helps!

Thanks alot that really does help, I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

I suppose that I am leaning towards IM since I'm interested in both dealing with derm issues and non-derm diseases as well. Still though things might change after 3rd year :)

Thanks again, you rock!!

ocean11 said:
Thanks alot that really does help, I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

I suppose that I am leaning towards IM since I'm interested in both dealing with derm issues and non-derm diseases as well. Still though things might change after 3rd year :)

Thanks again, you rock!!

You haven't even hit 3rd year yet?

Dude, you have plenty of time to decide. Wait until your IM clerkship, and do a Derm AI/Sub-I early in your 4th year to help you decide. Your love for either or both of these might change once you actually see what the field is like. Good luck with your decision!