Internal Moonlighting as IMG in NYS - programs that allow them (IM) without a license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tednfs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
This is a very specific question. I have already gone through all of the threads pertaining to this topic, read the NYSED rules about moonlighting, contacted them AND gotten a response, so please refrain from posting what most of us already know. This is a copy of a conversation that I had with the NYSED:

My 1st Mail:
To whom it may concern:

I have been going through the NY law regarding the ability of non-LCME graduates to receive licenses in NY while current residents in ACGME-accredited programs, primarily for the purposes of moonlighting.

Currently, in order to receive an unrestricted license in NYS, an IMG is required to be done with 3 years of post-graduate training (internal medicine residency length). Therefore, in order to moonlight externally, and to receive external malpractice, the IMG must be done with his/her residency. This is in accordance with the License Requirements on NYSED's page.

However, under section § 6525 covering exempt persons, it clearly states:
  1. Any physician who is employed as a resident in a public hospital, provided such practice is limited to such hospital and is under the supervision of a licensed physician;
Therefore, as long as the IMG resident wishes to work additionally (internal moonlighting), keeps within the 80-hour work week, is in good standing professionally, my understanding is that it would be permissible under NYS law.

Thus, the reason for this email, to clarify the current state of internal moonlighting among international medical graduates. I am aware that J1-visa holders are not allowed to work externally.

Their 1st response:
Hello,

I’m sorry but I’m a bit confused. Are you asking if you can do overtime? As you mentioned, you would be limited to the hospital where you are already doing the residency and restricted to no more than 80 hours in a work week. Would be getting paid by a separate entity? Would you be working in a different specialty? What would be different about the moonlighting work that you think it might not be allowed?

My 2nd mail:
Yes; the question is whether we can work overtime, as long as it is within the 80 hour cap. The residency is in internal medicine, and if one is to work outside mandatory rotation hours, the residency program would through its financial department pay for it.
The plan would be to work within the same specialty but also if could extend to the hospital’s ED or other entities owned by the health system for instance nursing homes.
The moonlighting legality to work confusions stems from NYSED saying indirectly on one an independent license is required to moonlight but not differentiating between internal and external moonlighting ( why would one need an independent license to work overtime in the same facility?). Technically , IMGs can only get independent licenses after completing residency so the general understanding is they cannot moonlight in NY, but this doesn’t address internal overtime.
Please feel free to contact me if anything is unclear

Their final response:
Hello,

It is up to the facility to determine. If your employing hospital deems this “moonlighting” to be outside of your residency and treated differently administratively on their end, then you are not covered under the residency exemption and would need a license. If they consider it the same as your residency work but just extra hours, then the residency exemption applies.

Kind Regards,

Back to the question: Does anyone know of any program in NYS that allows internal moonlighting without the need of a license? The only policy I found online was from 2015, Suny Downstate medical center makes mention of internal moonlighters not needing a license (I will link the policy below and upload), but perhaps because it's ranking time, I had not gotten a response when i e-mailed them.

Of note, I'm already doing residency in Western NY, and when I broached the topic, my PD wanted to see if any other program in NYS was doing it. I know it is a lengthy question, but any real input would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• PolicyonMoonlighting_Sept2015.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 123
Basically if the moonlighting is in the same scope of being a resident, then you can “moonlight”...say it is covering what a resident would otherwise do that your program doesn’t have a resident assigned. If it requires you to be the primary or attending of record, then you need a license and then no, you can’t since you can’t get an unrestricted license in nys.

Reactions: 1 user
Basically if the moonlighting is in the same scope of being a resident, then you can “moonlight”...say it is covering what a resident would otherwise do that your program doesn’t have a resident assigned. If it requires you to be the primary or attending of record, then you need a license and then no, you can’t since you can’t get an unrestricted license in nys.

Yes I have had this discussion with my PD, regarding what we would be allowed to do.
My question still is if there are any NYS programs that have used this exemption to allow their IMG residents to internally moonlight.

Yes I have had this discussion with my PD, regarding what we would be allowed to do.
My question still is if there are any NYS programs that have used this exemption to allow their IMG residents to internally moonlight.
Per your own link above, it appears downstate allows residents to "moonlight" as a resident, although this is not the typical use of the word as moonlighting generally means "working as an attending under your own licence." If your hospital has a program where you can get paid to work addl hours as a resident, you will still be under the licence of an attending and that should be fine.
I assume you're asking about other programs so that you can go to your PD and say "look, these hospitals all do it, so we should too"?

You won't be able to moonlight. New York law caps at 80 hours, working more than that is a major offense. No one will hire you.