International Anesthesiology Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This April, I will be doing my International Rotation in Anesthesiology (+SICU) for 4 weeks in Thailand!

Would love to hear stories and perspectives from medical students, residents and attendings who have done international Anesthesiology!

wf2.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This April, I will be doing my International Rotation in Anesthesiology (+SICU) for 4 weeks in Thailand!

Would love to hear stories and perspectives from medical students, residents and attendings who have done international Anesthesiology!

wf2.jpg

Dude thats f ukking awesome!

A dude I did my residency with (and was partners with at my first gig) did 6 months of residency in the UK.

He loved his experience there.

Dude thats f ukking awesome!

A dude I did my residency with (and was partners with at my first gig) did 6 months of residency in the UK.

He loved his experience there.

yea Jet, I am sikkkeeeee! it'll be in Bangkok at the King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital (pic below!). When I'm there, I want to see if they can send me out to the country side or toward the Burma-Thailand border near the refugees camp clinics. That will be one heck of an experience. (If I can only pick one drug, it'll be good old ketamine)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever medical school you're attending, I'm very impressed. If I remember correctly, didn't you do rotations in Washington/Oregon area too? This latitude in away rotations and even an international rotation's awesome. The fact they let you do so many in anesthesia is amazing. I'm envious. Have a great trip and experience.:thumbup:

Whatever medical school you're attending, I'm very impressed. If I remember correctly, didn't you do rotations in Washington/Oregon area too? This latitude in away rotations and even an international rotation's awesome. The fact they let you do so many in anesthesia is amazing. I'm envious. Have a great trip and experience.:thumbup:

Thank you for your kind words.

My medschool is the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine!! GO SOONERS and TULSA!!!!! OU Anesthesiology definitely is one of the best programs in the South-Cental area. Our Chair is awesome, teaching is top notch, residents super cool. Funny how I ended up here, a very good life story over a brew (at future ASA meeting if you can find me). Probably the best move I made in my life- despite the serendipitous nature of my decision.

Did my away rotation at OHSU :) (Oregon Health Science University) - the best kept secret around here but will not be for long :thumbup: Probably the best anesthesiology training program currently in the country.

The Thailand rotation was organized through an International medical student scholarship (all expenses paid) program at my school. Dr. C.S. Lewis (of Tulsa, OK) donated his trust fund to sponsor medical students aboard. People are selected randomly (through a lottery system). We have sister medical schools in Japan, France, South Africa, India, Thailand, China, etc. Also have medstudents from other countries doing rotations at our school! I hosted 2 french medical students 2 years ago! They were a lot of fun. Very good at soccer, can't keep up with them even though i played regularly in the past.

PS: French people are very nice despite the general American perception...but hey...C'est la vie...

Last edited:
What made you say OHSU Anesthesiology was the best teaching program in the country and the best kept secret? I'm very curious - please PM me about that. Thank you!

wf2.jpg
I'm assuming the instruction at the hospital is in English? Or does the 'siam' part of your username have some significance that I'm not aware of? At any rate, have fun! Thailand is an amazing country!

I'm assuming the instruction at the hospital is in English? Or does the 'siam' part of your username have some significance that I'm not aware of? At any rate, have fun! Thailand is an amazing country!

yep...instructions are both in english and thai....best of both worlds...whoo hooo:thumbup:

I should really get a siamese cat. lots of history!
TP2q.jpg

was also thinking about taking muay thai courses when I'm there!:
muaythai.jpg

Last edited:
yep...instructions are both in english and thai....best of both worlds...whoo hooo:thumbup:

the "siam" part helps :) can speak, read, write thai fluently, -born in the U.S. but grew up in Bangkok for 10 years!:thumbup:

I should really get a siamese cat.

oh jack talk thai. jack talk thai real good.

oh jack talk thai. jack talk thai real good.

hehehe. not sure if jack can "talk" thai "good". :)

it is quite a hard language. 5 tones.

For example the word "ma" depending on tones:

ma = come
ma = n/a
ma = n/a (aa-ma = grandmother in chinese-thai)
ma = horse
ma = dog

I recommend the rosetta stone series, quite good if you want to learn a new language.

I am currently learning japanese! (which is not phonatic) :)

Last edited:
"All my backs are packed; I'm ready to go"... Saying goodbye to my wife was probably the hardest thing to do in my last year of medical school. As I am departing for my international medicine rotation in Thailand, I reminisced back to my childhood days of growing up in the streets of Bangkok, Thailand's capital. The constant sound of speeding motorcycle, colorful street vendors, bells from Buddhist temples all rings in my mind along with the smell of grilled chicken, spicy lime-papaya salad, ripen sweet mango, fresh coconut milk, and steaming red curry. But with this trip, a new sound of gunshots, burning buses and political agenda blasting from the microphone of the protesters were added to my memory.

Despite the isolated chaos in the streets, I found peace in the hospital. Modern Thai Medicine is modeled after our western medical practices in content. Notes were written in english mixed with Thai conjunctions and articles. This is similar to the way Thai doctors discussed the cases, English medical terms connected with Thai verbs...similar to the way I talked to my parents. All the textbooks and exams were in English, the same one that I used in medical school (Robbins, Netters, etc). The Thai medical students had an extra job of learning the English language in addition to Medicine. However, the medical education is 6 years in length, initiated right after high school. I spent my time with the department of Anesthesiology, working mainly in the SICU with quick stunts in the OR. Due to my fluency of the Thai language, I was able to assimilate well with the medical students, residents, attendings, nurses and patients.

I began my week in the SICU, following an ICU attending from the department of Anesthesiology. The main SICU, located in the General Surgery Building. The unit held about fifteen beds. The technology is about five years older than ours, but the medical knowledge of the team members are all up to date. Many types of equipment are designed to be reused, for example the O2 mask in the OR are made from hard black rubber. There was also limited number of medications, especially the newer meds. I saw a ranged of Liver Transplants, Whipples, various GI-malignancy resections, Triple A's, Motor vehicle traumas, Respiratory difficulty POST-OP from myasthenia gravis, etc. The patients were often older, sicker, and often with co-morbities .

I was also able to attend several Palliative care lectures given by the Department of Anesthesiology. Palliative Care and Pain Medicine are not currently board certified medical specialities in Thailand. One unique observation was the spirituality in the end of life care. In the U.S. hospitals, pastors and nuns often provide spirituality consultations. However, this is not the case in Thailand, a country of mainly Buddhists. There were no such official consults in the hospital. Death was seen more as a cyclic process of nature when compared to Western beliefs. Aggressive treatments and "hope for a miracle" were not as often sought after by patients and family members. The patients were more accepting, tolerant to pain, and truly give their doctors all of their utmost trust and respect. Patients often required less pain medications. The faculty admitted that they were having a hard time addressing spirituality and pain with the dying Thai patients. Another interesting observation was that family member's input strongly influences the patient's wishes in the end of life care decisions.

Beside taking care of patients in the ICU and the OR, I also ran a code in the interventional radiology suite, did some fiber optic intubations, saw some really interesting tropical parasites in the Department of Parasitology, and share my experiences with the younger medical students. My trip ended early due to violent protests by a group of anti-government party in various areas of bangkok. I left when things were getting really heated. The roads and shopping malls around my dormitory were closed, army tanks and personnel filled the street marching toward critical points about 1.5 miles north of where I am. I felt safe but a bit uneasy about the situation. The country seemed to be split into two fractions: the rich (yellow shirts) vs. the poor (red shirts). My uncle had to navigate around the areas of the protesters as we make our dash to the Airport.

My flight left for Seoul where I would be transfered to Chicago. Half awake midway to Seoul, the pilot said on the intercom "is there a doctor or nurse on board? We have a medical emergency! Please contact a flight attendant!" I raised my hand, told them I'm a U.S. medical student who just finished all of his training. To my surprise, I was the only the medical provider on the plane of 200+ passengers. Here I am with my last patient encounter in medical school, 40000 feet in the air, 2.5 hours away from destination, and noAEDs. My BLS/ACLS card will be expiring soon. She was a 50 yo Korean female who doesn't speak English. OK. ABC, check! Good. I thought to myself, my best friend who matched ER would probably give me crap about this later. It was nerve wrecking. I was surrounded by flight attendants. They were trying to translate for the patient. Based on history and physical examination, I narrowed it down to acute food poisoning, gastroenteritis, acute hep A, but can't rule out bowel obstruction or other crazy life threatening zebras that my mind was racing through (ie AB Pain = MI in DM). All I could do were supportive measures. Thankfully, she was stable for the whole flight and was rushed to the hospital when the plane landed. I let out a sigh as I exited the plane, the flight attendant thanked me and handed me a free food voucher to any restaurant at the airport. I found my connecting gate and laid myself across a row of seats. I drifted off to a half-sleep state as I waited for my next flight that was leaving in 8 hours! Atleast the airport got free wifi. Time for a dose of southpark.

Last edited:
Glad you're home safe and sound, Siam. Crazy about the plane...although there was a time when you probably would have gotten a free flight outta that deal!

Glad you're home safe and sound, Siam. Crazy about the plane...although there was a time when you probably would have gotten a free flight outta that deal!

crazy trip gimlet! how are you doing??!?

yea, could have asked for the free ticket voucher.. but was glad to get the meal voucher as my layover was 8 hours long. overall a VERY EXCITING trip = more barstool stories.

boy, i sure missed the $1-2 a plate thai food (padthai, curry, you name it).

THAT WAS MY LAST ROTATION, I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!

Last edited:
I did a four week rotation in a province about an hour outside of Bangkok between my first and second year, in surgery. It was an absolutely amazing experience. I fell in love with Thailand and its people and dream of going back!! The amazing thing was that my classmate and I were the FIRST Americans to ever visit this campus and furthermore, the pub our host tooks us too had never ever served anyone other than Thai folk, let alone Westerners like us! I truly think experiences like that will only become more rare as globilization continues.

Your experience made me miss Thailand all the more!! Thanks for sharing!