International/Canadian students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruck

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How will you pay/are paying for medical school in United states? Which lender are you borrowing from? There are many private lenders out there. I'm confused. Please help. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

First of all few schools will accept international students I dont know about Canadians though, as many med schools want their in state residents only or at least first. I think your best bet and mine are the private schools who dont have this restriction which is usually a condition for them to continue to get their public (state/federal) funding. I think most schools want ALL the money up front so its not like when i came here for undergrad of my masters where you had to prove you had the money for one year, they want all 4 yrs worth. At least Duke and Stanford do I looked it up today actually. International students I was told when I got here for undergrad dont get loans as we could just high tail it home with all their $$$$
I plan to finish my masters save up for 5 years and then proceed to med school. My dream will not die when I walk across that stage to get my business MBA next May.

ZIM1

Some medical schools have financial aid for Canadians/Intl students. ie. Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Vanderbilt, Brown, Dartmouth. Also there is a loan program for canadians called CANhelp (http://www.iefc.com/canada/can_index.cfm).

Second that - I'm international and got accepted to Columbia during the last app cycle. All of the above schools do give pretty decent financial aid to int'ls with the exception of Brown, sadly - since I'm a Brown alum.

But to the OP - good luck, be persistent. There's money to be found out there ... :)