International, Carribean vs Australia vs Ireland vs US DO/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahasashi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a premedical student. US grad from college a few years ago with a 3.2 GPA. Nontraditional Student, I worked as a spanish translator in a medical officer for 2 years and studied for my MCAT scoring a 33. Im applying to medical schools.

I am applying pretty late in the cycle for DO and MD schools, so I think most likely if Im gonna get in its gonna be for 2017.

That being said, Im currently applying to schools in the Carribean. Australia (U Queensland), and Irish schools via Atlantic Bridge.

I want to hear some feed back from other students on what would be the best choice
1) One of the big 4 in the Caribbean
2) University of Queensland Ochsner Program,
3) Atlantic Bridge Program
4) Wait a year and reapply.

I have been looking around to try to learn more about the Queensland program vs Carribean, but I am having a lot of trouble comparing the two and figuring out which is better. When I look at residency matches, for example, from SGU the residencies are for the vast majority primary care and I heard they have a higher attrition rate. When I look at U Queensland's residency matches on their website, there is more diversity in their matches, but there are also fewer numbers they post about. (I counted a little over 30 residency placements posted). I know they have a lower attrition rate, and when I searched globally for med school rankings they seemed pretty high ranked. But I would like some more info on this school.

Also how hard is it to get into the Atlantic Bridge Program? If anyone has information on this and then residency placements in states, Id really value your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wait and reapply. US DO/MD is all you should want to deal with. Rest is a waste of time and money imho.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know ideally I'd want to get into a US school, but there is a good chance due to how competitive that I may not be able to. In the case that I cannot, I know many individuals go abroad to do medicine because their goal is to become a doctor. Of the foreign programs I have actually heard amazing things about Irish medical schools. I know a doctor who was telling me students from British, Irish, and Australian schools tend to know their material very well and their degrees and universities are prestigious. Do you guys know anything specific about the Australian School University of Queensland or the Atlantic Bridge Program for doctors who want to come back and practice in America? I know the Caribbean is iffy because of higher attrition rates. I also know students who did well in the Caribbean, but for me, they are a last resort if I cannot get into med school anywhere else. But what about the other two options?

Also if Anyone is familiar with how competitive/hard it is to get into Atlantic Bridge and what my chances would be, I'd love to know more.

Also anyone who knows or has been to U Queensland, if they could describe their experience and tell me if it is worth going, I'd be really looking forward to hearing about it.

Hi. I am a premedical student. US grad from college a few years ago with a 3.2 GPA. Nontraditional Student, I worked as a spanish translator in a medical officer for 2 years and studied for my MCAT scoring a 33. Im applying to medical schools.

I am applying pretty late in the cycle for DO and MD schools, so I think most likely if Im gonna get in its gonna be for 2017.

That being said, Im currently applying to schools in the Carribean. Australia (U Queensland), and Irish schools via Atlantic Bridge.

I want to hear some feed back from other students on what would be the best choice

I have been looking around to try to learn more about the Queensland program vs Carribean, but I am having a lot of trouble comparing the two and figuring out which is better. When I look at residency matches, for example, from SGU the residencies are for the vast majority primary care and I heard they have a higher attrition rate. When I look at U Queensland's residency matches on their website, there is more diversity in their matches, but there are also fewer numbers they post about. (I counted a little over 30 residency placements posted). I know they have a lower attrition rate, and when I searched globally for med school rankings they seemed pretty high ranked. But I would like some more info on this school.

Also how hard is it to get into the Atlantic Bridge Program? If anyone has information on this and then residency placements in states, Id really value your input.
you should get plenty of interviews from DO. I wouldn't worry. just make sure you applied to enough DO programs to solidify your chances.

FWIW, there is someone on here with similar grades and a 26 that has already been accepted to 2 DO schools.

Last edited:

You are not late for DO where you are a competitive candidate for many programs. That should be your focus along with your state MD Schools and perhaps some lower tiers friendly to OOS that have 10th percentile GPA's near yours(hint there won't be that many unfortunately but give it a go)

Reactions: 1 user

I don't know why you bumped. These posts answered your questions pretty well.

1) no
2) no
3) no
4) YES
Just wait and reapply. US DO/MD is all you should want to deal with. Rest is a waste of time and money imho.
you should get plenty of interviews from DO. I wouldn't worry. just make sure you applied to enough DO programs to solidify your chances.

FWIW, there is someone on here with similar grades and a 26 that has already been accepted to 2 DO schools.
You are not late for DO where you are a competitive candidate for many programs. That should be your focus along with your state MD Schools and perhaps some lower tiers friendly to OOS that have 10th percentile GPA's near yours(hint there won't be that many unfortunately but give it a go)

Reactions: 1 users
Cause Im looking for feedback from any students who actually went to the Queensland or Ireland Programs.

Ditto. The DO cycle is longer and you're fine applying up to Dec.

Unless you live in a very lucky state like LA or KS, your chances at MD schools are nil.