international chances of OMFS residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dinesh said:
I know that OMFS residencys are pretty damn hard to get into, but what are the chances of a foreigner?What does he/she have to do to increase his/her chances greatly?

Sorry buddy but as a foreign trained dentist your chances are slim to none. Not necesarily because admissions commitees don't want to, but because most of the time the admissions rules forbid it.

To improve your chances what you need to do join school and get your DDS degree from here, but that doesn't guarantee admission either. It's an extremely competitve field, and by the time foreign trained dentist join school, regular DDS students have 2 years ahead of chances to pump their grades higher, volunteering, research, etc.

Sorry for the discouraging news, but I just to want to help you guide your compass to the reality. Good luck. :luck:

I don't understand..if a foreign student does the DDS why should he or she be at a disadvantage? I understand this is a very tough program but shouldn't the DDS put both in a equal position?

Secondly, is it only this speciality or others as well that restrict foreign students or simply put it - does a foreign trained dentist who does the DDS only have general practice as an option?..especially considering the fact that such massive loans have been taken?

Would like some guidance..

Meggs said:
Sorry buddy but as a foreign trained dentist your chances are slim to none. Not necesarily because admissions commitees don't want to, but because most of the time the admissions rules forbid it.

To improve your chances what you need to do join school and get your DDS degree from here, but that doesn't guarantee admission either. It's an extremely competitve field, and by the time foreign trained dentist join school, regular DDS students have 2 years ahead of chances to pump their grades higher, volunteering, research, etc.

Sorry for the discouraging news, but I just to want to help you guide your compass to the reality. Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
moneeza said:
I don't understand..if a foreign student does the DDS why should he or she be at a disadvantage? I understand this is a very tough program but shouldn't the DDS put both in a equal position?

Secondly, is it only this speciality or others as well that restrict foreign students or simply put it - does a foreign trained dentist who does the DDS only have general practice as an option?..especially considering the fact that such massive loans have been taken?

Would like some guidance..

I didn't make myself clear or you didn't get me.

After you get your DDS from here, you are the same level as the regular DDS graduates. But for them is awafully hard too.

Post grad programs in the US don't only look at grades and degrees, they also look at extracurricular activities like volunteering, research, awards, etc.

Regular DDS students spend 4 years getting all that togeter. They do a lot of community service, research in boring labs, they go to a zillion table presentations of their research, at those sometimes they win sometimes they don't. Plus some of them before they enroll in the DDS program have a really heave curriculum with interesting majors, masters and some even PhDs. Plus they have 4 years to compete among themselves to raise their ranking.

Foreign trained dentist only do 2 years of dental school and by the time they realize they need to start working on their curriculum, it may have passed several months. Plus most of us don't have undergraduates degrees, in our countries we usually just go straight from high school to dental school. Also in 2 years you have less time to step over everyone :rolleyes: to get higher in the ranking to be in the top spots.

Do you get the disparity here? Oficially and theoretically after completing DDS from here we are in the same position, and I'm sure they do look at us like that. But just don't go to an IDS or IDP program thinking that will grant you automatic admission to postgraduate programs. After you complete your IDS or IDP you have to compete just as hard with the rest of applicants for a very limited number of spots.

The DDS degree barely grants you the right to apply, but that's about it, it doesn't guarantee chances. Get it?

Good luck :luck:

Sorry I think it was me..I think I am being very dumb today :( Anyway I do have a stupid MPH as well - useless degree really..total waste of money and time..but hey that might help rite? :confused:

Thanks again..
besides why the heck did I ask this question..I was never going into surgery in the first place? :oops:

Meggs said:
I didn't make myself clear or you didn't get me.

After you get your DDS from here, you are the same level as the regular DDS graduates. But for them is awafully hard too.

Post grad programs in the US don't only look at grades and degrees, they also look at extracurricular activities like volunteering, research, awards, etc.

Regular DDS students spend 4 years getting all that togeter. They do a lot of community service, research in boring labs, they go to a zillion table presentations of their research, at those sometimes they win sometimes they don't. Plus some of them before they enroll in the DDS program have a really heave curriculum with interesting majors, masters and some even PhDs. Plus they have 4 years to compete among themselves to raise their ranking.

Foreign trained dentist only do 2 years of dental school and by the time they realize they need to start working on their curriculum, it may have passed several months. Plus most of us don't have undergraduates degrees, in our countries we usually just go straight from high school to dental school. Also in 2 years you have less time to step over everyone :rolleyes: to get higher in the ranking to be in the top spots.

Do you get the disparity here? Oficially and theoretically after completing DDS from here we are in the same position, and I'm sure they do look at us like that. But just don't go to an IDS or IDP program thinking that will grant you automatic admission to postgraduate programs. After you complete your IDS or IDP you have to compete just as hard with the rest of applicants for a very limited number of spots.

The DDS degree barely grants you the right to apply, but that's about it, it doesn't guarantee chances. Get it?

Good luck :luck:

Last edited: