International Clinical Rotations???

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Peeshee, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know why US citizens who are studying medicine in a foreign country are not allowed to do electives outside of the US or the country they are studying in? I am not sure if this applies to every school, but I would like to see a good reason why this is true, especially if the hospital in the other country has a well organized electives program. Also, if you know any foreign schools that do allow their students to do electives in countries other than where they study or where they have their citizenship, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Peeshee...

What you're describing is NOT across the board. Many, if not most, international schools allow students to do electives abroad, even in countries which are not those in which the students are studying or their home country. I cannot speak for every school but I know the Australian schools will allow international electives pretty much anywhere which has an organized program of medical education (fellow students have done electives in South Africa, the US, Ireland, other parts of the UK, Asia, and some tropical islands in the South Pacific, to name a few). I know some of the Caribbean schools allow rotations (if not electives) in the UK as well as the US.

If there is a specific school to which you refer, perhaps naming it will get you more information about the reasons for this school's policy - it may have something to do with malpractice/liability insurance or ensuring the quality of education at outside facilities.