International comparison of education systems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to compare the medical education systems of different countries,
so I would like to verify the following info:

US and Canada: students must complete an undergard degree (premed) and do an entry exam (MCAT), medical school lasts for 4 years.

In many developing countries entry is determined solely on high school scores, no premed degree is required. Some countries like India require an entry exam. Medical education lasts 6 years.

How is it like in the UK, Australia, Europe, South America . . . etc?

Any good references on this topic?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to compare the medical education systems of different countries,
so I would like to verify the following info:

US and Canada: students must complete an undergard degree (premed) and do an entry exam (MCAT), medical school lasts for 4 years.

In many developing countries entry is determined solely on high school scores, no premed degree is required. Some countries like India require an entry exam. Medical education lasts 6 years.

How is it like in the UK, Australia, Europe, South America . . . etc?

Any good references on this topic?

Thanks!

technically medical schools in North America don't require a prior degree for admission (but the reality is 95% of those accepted have them). Canada has few med schools that are 3 years long only (Calgary, McMaster..etc). I don't think McMaster requires the MCAT. The USA has mostly 4 year programs, require the MCAT. There are a few 6 and 7 year combined BA/MD programs available as well for student out of high school.

Australia has a mix of programs. Half are 4 years called grad entry (requires a previous bachelors), require the GAMSAT exam. The other half are 6 year programs for students out of high school and require the UMAT exam. There are also a handful of 7 year combined degree programs available as well.