International DDS VS Post-Graduate Specialty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ourlovestory

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues,

Foreign-Trained dentists can make their way to Dental License either by attending International DDS Program, which is very expensive; or 2 years Post-graduate or a master’s degree, which is less expensive (Some post-grade costs less than 1/3 of the international DDS)

I want to know your thoughts about the Pros and Cons of International DDS VS Post-Graduate Specialty, to help me and others make a decision which route to take.

Some points to discuss:
- Cost, loans, salary and pay-back
- Difficulty to get in a program
- Work opportunities after completing the degree
- Cases you think DDS is a better option
- Cases you think Post-grade is a better option
- etc.

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Good thread.. but any reply?
Also I wonder, if someone who has completed a specialization program (like endodontics) from another country, does he has any advantages on his way in USA?

I have some experience which can help you. I started applying for residency program in 2016. I thought it was cheaper and easier to get to residency program. I had done a post graduate program in my country and had about ten publications and lots of volenteer work. I was new to the US and did not have any US experience. I did not want to waste my money and time and I thought I was smart. I got couple of interviews and I was happy. Until I went for the interviews and realized that none of the program directors wanted people with no US experience for that particular specialty. I got accepted to none. This year I did not even bother myself. I only applied for CAAPID. With my post graduate degree I have got 4 interveiws till now. If I had done it last cycle, I would have started my first year by now. So I ended up losing more money. To summerize, if you are after specialties like ortho, endo or surgery, only apply if you are super prepared, because you are compared to US student. However, you may have more chances for programs like prostho or perio. But anyway it is your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
--

Last edited:
I do both routes. (Finished postgraduate residency and now doing advance standing DMD).

Jumping to post graduate specialty directly is good for those who want to get credential and go back to their country. The path to work in US afterward is somewhat limited. Some specialties (prosth/perio) are in demand for teaching job in US afterward because these specialties have more roles in predoctoral education, but some specialties are not. There are limitation on how many state that accept this route as well. Some state stop accepting this route (recently Florida). So lets say you were doing specialty training and plan to live in Florida afterward, but then the law changed. Now you are left behind.

So I decide to do Advance standing afterward so that I don't have to limit my life to only state that accept specialty training. Some may argue that one can move to other state with licensure by reciprocity. But these are very uncertain to me as the rule can change anytime.

One better way is to do advance standing first. Then you can apply to competitive residency program. Some may offer salary with no tuition.

I'm pretty much in the same situation.. live in FL and starting Prostho.... where are you doing the advanced standing?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have some experience which can help you. I started applying for residency program in 2016. I thought it was cheaper and easier to get to residency program. I had done a post graduate program in my country and had about ten publications and lots of volenteer work. I was new to the US and did not have any US experience. I did not want to waste my money and time and I thought I was smart. I got couple of interviews and I was happy. Until I went for the interviews and realized that none of the program directors wanted people with no US experience for that particular specialty. I got accepted to none. This year I did not even bother myself. I only applied for CAAPID. With my post graduate degree I have got 4 interveiws till now. If I had done it last cycle, I would have started my first year by now. So I ended up losing more money. To summerize, if you are after specialties like ortho, endo or surgery, only apply if you are super prepared, because you are compared to US student. However, you may have more chances for programs like prostho or perio. But anyway it is your decision.

That's so inspiring getting 4 interviews is amazing! I have been contemplating doing masters and this sort of opened my mind. I am applying through CAAPID this year as well hopefully I get lucky too! *fingers crossed*

SamanthaDDS your input is an eye opener! Thank you for sharing!