International Dentist interested in gettinf dental hygiene licensure in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamy0218

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dentist graduated in Dominican Republic. What is required to practice dental hygiene in the United States? Does anybody know if acing the NBDEH (National Board of Dental Hygiene Examination) without getting into a dental hygiene program, an option for internation dentist to get license in dental hygiene?

Members don't see this ad.

I teach in a dental hygiene program in the Midwest. I cannot answer your question directly. But I can tell you...

We have had a few foreign dentist complete RDH training in our program and become licensed. However, they were all residents of our state prior to acceptance into the program.

For state of Florida only, you need to pass either NBDE both parts or NBDEH (which I believe easier especially if you are not planning to pursue dentistry) and the adex exam, which has theoretical and clinical parts, both are easy maybe the hardest thing is finding your patient that's all what you need to practice hygiene in Florida, with you Spanish i guess Florida will be perfect for you!
Please refer to Florida Board of dentistry for further details.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a dentist graduated in Dominican Republic. What is required to practice dental hygiene in the United States? Does anybody know if acing the NBDEH (National Board of Dental Hygiene Examination) without getting into a dental hygiene program, an option for internation dentist to get license in dental hygiene?
Just go through the hygiene program. Concord offers a degree in just 17 months