International Dentist practice with direct licence exam in any state?

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by dontist, Aug 25, 2010.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dontist

    dontist 2+ Year Member

    Mar 19, 2010
    Hi guys.. i know that the regular path to practice dentistry in USA for international dentists are.. giving NBDE part 1 and Part 2 go for 2 to 3 yr dental school program and later give license exam and u will be able to practice dentistry in different states depending on ur regional exam .

    Well as you that was not the case before. Earlier there were chances where... International dentist would just give the exam for license and practice without going to any schools for 2 yrs in USA.

    The rules are been changing and now its been removed and we r suppose to compulsary take 2 to 3 yrs dental school .. and later give license.

    I just have a question that is there any state still open where we can directly give the license exam and practice? i heard there is still 1 or 2 state open for such thing.

    Please reply for it if u have heard about any such information. It will be useful for all of us.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. VenkatV

    VenkatV 2+ Year Member

    Jun 18, 2008
    The last time I heard, MN is still open. However the process is extremely long, tough and not very well documented.
  4. dontist

    dontist 2+ Year Member

    Mar 19, 2010
    Oh Minnesota is still open?? when did u hear it?? i mean is this info too old than they might have closed it...

    I would like to know if any more info you have it will be of great use. :)
  5. hydentist

    hydentist 7+ Year Member

    May 20, 2009
    I'm not sure if any state actually allows international trained dentists to work directly after clearing a few exams....I know a few states allow you to work after a couple of years of residency instead of DDS. You might want to check the states license requirements where you want to practice.
  6. dontist

    dontist 2+ Year Member

    Mar 19, 2010
    for MINNESOTA i think they required us to go to 2 to 3 yrs school.

    Licensure by Exam Requirements

    1. Graduate from a dental school that is accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation.
    2. Pass the Minnesota Jurisprudence Examination covering the statutes and rules of the Minnesota Board of Dentistry within 5 years prior to application for licensure.
    3. Pass, within 5 years prior to application for licensure, the American National Dental Board Examination, parts I and II.
    4. Pass, within 5 years prior to application for licensure one of the following clinical exams administered by:
    a. Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS).
    b. Board accepts SRTA, CITA, WREB, NERB if passed after 9/25/2009. (If you've passed any of these exams prior to that date, contact the Board office to verify acceptance.
    c. National Dental Examining Board (NDEB) of Canada, if
    * a graduate of an Accredited Canadian Dental school, or
    * a graduate University of Minnesota, on or after 5/2010.

    You must meet all of the above requirements to be eligible to apply for licensure by exam in Minnesota.

    -from Minnesota Dental Association.

  7. Harry747

    Harry747 2+ Year Member

    May 27, 2010
    Buffalo, New York
    It's true before 5-6 years we didn't have to study to practice in USA.I think there is a website that shows each state's criteria for license. You may check it.
  8. cooldental

    cooldental 5+ Year Member

    Nov 26, 2009
    hey dontist how r u long time, last time i asked ur score til now u dint answer i think u gave exam in june wats ur score plz let me knw just want t knw how the new pattern is . thanks
  9. akshayindiaBDS


    Feb 27, 2010
    excellent topic.. will help many of us..

    Are there any states where just exams are enough?

    If not, which are the states that allow licensure after a specialization? (even though you may still need to give the nbd and regiional exams)

    I know california, massacheussettes (sp?) and New York dont allow (i.e. need a DDS)

    I think Texas does allow.

    Can anyone complete the list or throw some more light on the subject please?
  10. VenkatV

    VenkatV 2+ Year Member

    Jun 18, 2008
    May be MN is no longer open; but honestly if ADA didn't make it hard as is, there'd be international dentists like shroom farms all over the place including states like North Dakota.
  11. dontist

    dontist 2+ Year Member

    Mar 19, 2010
    r u sure about texas?? i doubt..

    and by stating that . . u mean to day we do not need to do DDS for 2 3 years..?? just directly give part 1 and 2, license exam and done? or u talking about after specialization?

    i think i replied u.. afaik... :)
    can u please tell me the site??? :)

    exactly true.. but still i think there are few states open for us.. thats what i want to explore.
  12. VenkatV

    VenkatV 2+ Year Member

    Jun 18, 2008
    Sure. But why would ADA or any local governing body give foreign trained dentists the benefit or ability to practice; keeping aside the best interests of local (American) trained dentists who spend 8 yrs in school and graduate with 500K+ loans only to lose the market.
  13. Zobarste

    Zobarste 5+ Year Member

    Jul 31, 2010
  14. Peridds


    Aug 11, 2010
  15. cavitysearcher

    cavitysearcher 5+ Year Member

    Sep 15, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I know that in Massachusetts (MA), you can get a "limited license" and practice dentistry but only in clinics associated with a dental school (Harvard, BU, Tufts) and that license never expires as long as you continue working with the university.
    You can also get a "limited license" in MA if you work for a community health center, however, the license expires after 5 years and you cannot renew it.
  16. DMM

    DMM 2+ Year Member

    Aug 30, 2007
    I tried Minnesota license path about 2-3 years ago ,before going to dental school.
    It took about 9 month for ICA to evaluate my credential and I got an interview from Minnesota board but I canceled it because I went to dental school.
    I still have ADA Infection Control Book .
    Now they provide a "limited license" for 3 years.
    More informations on Minnesota Dental Board site.
  17. La fea

    La fea 2+ Year Member

    May 6, 2008
    That's true. MN does allow practice without going to school in the US. But it a long and tedious process. Think it is less painful to just go to school.

Share This Page