international dentist want to get a hygienist license in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR.HUM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am internationl dentist coming from syria . I moved to USA because of the situation in my country . Does anyone have any idea about how can I get a hygienist license ?

Members don't see this ad.

What I've been told is that you need to pass the ndbe I first then take the higienist licensure exam!

Which state you are in Rivera? in NY what I know you need to enroll in hygienist program for two years to become eligible for license exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I've been told is that you need to pass the ndbe I first then take the higienist licensure exam!

I do not know where you got your sources from, but the information they provided to you is incorrect.
The only way a foreign-trained dentist can practice hygiene in US is by getting licensed, and only way to do that is by graduating for a DH program, which is 2 years(associate degree level). But you would also have to take pre-requisite course, which will take at least 1 more additional year. So you are looking at about 3 years before you can start practicing dental hygiene here.

My sources are foreign trained dentists who are already working as a hygienist and as dentists in the state of Florida! Laws change every year and differ from state to state.

My sources are foreign trained dentists who are already working as a hygienist and as dentists in the state of Florida! Laws change every year and differ from state to state.

Laws do change all the time. But as of right now, Florida is the only state where you can do that.

So they ask for one to take NBDE?? I thought it was a P/F? Can you send a link on DHB website??