international dentistry or US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4u90

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im currently a high school senior, and I am currently in the middle of choosing to do my pre-dental in india in 5 years and become a doctor there come back to US and pass the NBDE and attend 2 more years of college here..

OR

do my pre-dental in US..

what shoould i do??

I am really confused!!

Members don't see this ad.

im currently a high school senior, and I am currently in the middle of choosing to do my pre-dental in india in 5 years and become a doctor there come back to US and pass the NBDE and attend 2 more years of college here..

OR

do my pre-dental in US..

what shoould i do??

I am really confused!!

whihc ever way is fine.... if you do BDS from india you can skip 3-4 yr Bachelors program in US.. and eventually you can get into 2-3 yr FTD program
after 5 yr dental schooling in India.

be aware of the fact that dental admissions in US has become thougher than getting into medical school..last year Baylor in Dallas has received 4000 applications for 80 seats...whihc means 2% acceptance rate...

so evry decision you make at this crossroad...be clear that you are adequately motivated and has the determination to get into dental school via traditional DDS program or FTD program...

best wishes

Members don't see this ad :)
when i was a high school senior i wish i had known about the dental program overseas...had i known i would have skipped the whole 4 year college in america and gone straight to dental school in another country and just come back to america and do 2 more years......the overseas schools process is faster.....if you KNOW you want to be a dentist and don't mind living overseas....i'd say go for it. that what I would have done your position. But YOU got to do what feels right for YOU.

when i was a high school senior i wish i had known about the dental program overseas...had i known i would have skipped the whole 4 year college in america and gone straight to dental school in another country and just come back to america and do 2 more years......the overseas schools process is faster.....if you KNOW you want to be a dentist and don't mind living overseas....i'd say go for it. that what I would have done your position. But YOU got to do what feels right for YOU.

it's not quite an easier way..think, here you do 4years of college and than another 4 of grad school so 8 years in total...overseas you have a 5 or even 6 years of grad school and than you'll have to come here, prepare for the boards, toefl and so on..which would take you at least 1 year, than apply, let's say you enter upon your first attempt, but still you'll start the next year...so you'll embark upon another 2 or even 3 years of IDP...so let's count 5-6y+1+1+2-3 it's at least 8 to 11 years!!!!! plus, even if you go to an overseas college where you would learn in English, in order to communicate with your patients you would need to know a little bit(maybe more...) of the country language you're in....
and on top of all this, you'll have to have a good reason of why did you choose this way instead of staying here...
good luck!

it's not quite an easier way..think, here you do 4years of college and than another 4 of grad school so 8 years in total...overseas you have a 5 or even 6 years of grad school and than you'll have to come here, prepare for the boards, toefl and so on..which would take you at least 1 year, than apply, let's say you enter upon your first attempt, but still you'll start the next year...so you'll embark upon another 2 or even 3 years of IDP...so let's count 5-6y+1+1+2-3 it's at least 8 to 11 years!!!!! plus, even if you go to an overseas college where you would learn in English, in order to communicate with your patients you would need to know a little bit(maybe more...) of the country language you're in....
and on top of all this, you'll have to have a good reason of why did you choose this way instead of staying here...
good luck!

i feel what your saying...you bring up great points...

....but lets assume he wants to go to india b/c maybe his family is originally from there...so maybe he knows the language and is capable of communicating with the patients.

..and why would someone coming from an english speaking country need to prepare for toefl? (assuming this kid is from north america/uk).....if coming from an english speaking nation and just going to school in another country i doubt one would have to study for it.

plus in general if it were ME, i dont *think* it would have been that hard. five years get ur degree......do all research necessary ahead of time while in school and apply straight to 2year program in US ...no need to take toefl i live in america went to school here so i know english...and BAM 7 yrs im done...

^^^maybe thats a fantasy though, i'll admit it lol...dont know for sure...i just like the fact that in overseas countries, if you know what you want to do for SURE...you can go straight into it after high school.

there are pros and cons to US university system

recently management gurus have come up with a solution for these kind of tricky situations...they say " 80 % of the problem lies in the 20 % "....

so work on the 20 % most of us stumble in any competition ...that should solve the problem in any decision making....