international DO education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm undecided as to whether to pursue osteopathic vs. allopathic med. But a big concern for me is that I want to study abroad (I know, for all practical purposes, it's not the best option, but I have the travel bug). Are there any schools outside the US which have highly-reputed DO schools? Looking primarily at the UK, Ireland and Australia - especially since I just read a post somewhere saying that DOs in Oz can practice unlimited medicine.

Also, for a DO with international education, do they encounter biases and difficulties with residencies or employment when trying to get back in the US?

Thanks so much :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you always want to walk into a perfect situation? That's one characteristic that sets apart a D.O.--don't be afraid to blaze a trail and make the difference! I struggled with the same debate, but then I decided that what I believe in is more important than being more respected when I travel. There are countries all over the world that are hungry for the movement we are experiencing. That gives you travel opportunities where you can really make a difference AND practice the kind of medicine you believe in--but you have to believe in it!

If a medical degree obtained internationally is your goal, along with returning to the US to practice medicine, you have no DO options for training. Non-US Osteopathy and and US-Osteopathy are on quite different levels. If you wish to go abraod for your med edu, an MD or MBBS MB BCh, or the variants of these, are your only options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, your attitude is encouraging. I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether it's possible for someone who earned a DO equivalent overseas to practice as a DO in the US without too much trouble, or enter osteopath-related residencies. thoughts?

Also, must you have a DO degree in order to apply for osteopathic residencies? I'm very intersted in Osteopathy, but still for one reason or another, go the MD route.

Thanks!

Originally posted by leorl:
•(It is) possible for someone who earned a DO equivalent overseas to practice as a DO in the US without too much trouble, or enter osteopath-related residencies.

Must you have a DO degree in order to apply for osteopathic residencies? •

No, it is not possible for a foreign trained DO to practice as a DO in the US as a DO is understood in the US. The scope of training DO schools abroad offer is finctionally comparabel to Chiropractic schools in the US (I know, this is not perfect to say, but I am trying to link new info for him to info he already has).

Yes, one must have graduated from a US DO school to do an AOA residency. As I understand it, no exceptions are made.