1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

International DO?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by akiralx, Apr 27, 2001.

1. akiralx

akiralx New Member

Hello, I wanted to know if getting a DO would hinder my opportunities of practicing medicine in other countries especially Latin America. Basically, can I practice medicine in other countries with a DO. I tried asking this question in another forum but I did not get an answer. Thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The problem is that many foregn countries do not recognize the US DO as being equivalent to an allopathic degree, but rather as akin to chiropractic. I do not know whether this is the case for Latin America but it is the case for Australia and the UK.

Gower posted a link to someone who is well educated in this field. I will try and find the link for you and post it here. In addition, you would be well advised to check with the medical licensing bureau in the country to see what medical education requirements it has.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
    PGY1
    Penn State University
    Department of Surgery

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  5. shosh

shosh Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

sure, many countries do not recognize the practicing rights of D.O.s in the U.S. This is, however, usually because they simply don't know what those rights are. Fact is there are so few D.O. physicians, and even fewer practicing outside of the U.S. that it really is not surprising that many countries do not know U.S. D.O.s have full practicing rights (consider how many people there are in the U.S. who do not even know what a D.O. is.)
    Furthermore, many countries ARE aware of D.O.'s in the U.K. which have completely different practicing rights, in this case more akin to that of chiropractors, and to complicate things even further, the U.K. D.O.s are granted the same title: Doctor of osteopathy.
    contact the consulate of the country you are interested in practicing in. And be sure to contact Linda Mascheri, AOA office of state gov. affairs 800 621 1773 x8184 for the up-to-date info and best advice. She is very helpful. It may require a lot of paper work, but I think that in general it is very possible to practice in many different countries.
    good luck