International European medical student to US medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fornix*

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would really like to hear your opinion here.
I've studied 3 years of medical school in Europe being in the dean's list in every semester with a GPA of 3.81 (WES evaluated). I want to transfer into a competitive med-school and if needed I'm willing to start med school all over again.
I want to have my residency and to practice in the US.

I'm a non-US citizen/resident. Recently, I was accepted to St.George's university, Grenada for a dual degree MD/MSc program of 4.5 years (33% scholarship, performance-based).
I have a long history of academic excellence, performance based-scholarships, clinical experience, medical ECs, tutoring in med school and strong LORs from med school and hospitals and research activity.

I'm very motivated, committed and know my way in an academic enviroment. If I score really high on USMLE and graduate with distinction in research in SGU - what are my chances of getting into a competitive US residency program.

or maybe
taking a 6 months gap, taking MCAT (and score high)- applying to US med schools that accept international students
in the time of selection doing a 1-year US MSc based on my 3 years of med school

- this option is 1 year longer than the caribbean one.

Plus, I'm 34 years old and about to take a significant student loan.
lets say I really excel in one of these options - which of these you would say is better for a competitive US residency program?

I really appreciate the help,

Members don't see this ad.

SGU is not a US med school. Use the search function and see the numerous threads about going to the Caribbean for med school. Despite being considered by some as the top Caribbean school, it is general consensus to avoid off shore schools at all costs. It is becoming more difficult each year for graduates of these schools to get a residency at all and certainly not a competitive one. I have no idea about your situation since you have completed three years of med school already. I'm sure someone will answer you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Caribbean medical schools are not well thought-of by Program Directors in the US. An SG"U" diploma and a student visa are a recipe for no match without regard to your USMLE score.
Depending on your country of residence you may be better served by finishing your degree and applying for residency as an FMG. What is your country of residence?

Most medical schools that consider internationals expect a significant amount of undergraduate education in the US. An MCAT score alone will not suffice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
An FMG applying from SGU will be lucky to get interviews, let alone match anywhere. I can't see PDs taking a risk on an SGU grad that also comes with the added baggage of having to deal wth visas and all that stuff. Especially a competitive residency.

Like gyngyn said your best bet might be to just complete school where you are.

Reactions: 1 user