ZZZ the foxbat

2+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I am an international student who attends undergrad here in the US and applying to med school this cycle. I have completed most of my ~25 secondaries by mid-late July (LM >80) but I have not heard anything back yet. After knowing several of my friends who have received IIs already, I am wondering if international students will be notified later in the cycle for interviews? Thanks so much for any input!

Reactions: Sunbodi

Welshman

He runs like a Welshman
2+ Year Member
May 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
My understanding is international spots are usually very competitive since there are so many Applicants and very few international spots. They're probably waiting to go through a few more apps.

That said by the end of August over 70% of interviews have yet to be given out according to a graph by efle

NeedACar

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I received 3 interviews in August, and then one in September and 3 in October, as an international student :)

Depends on your stats, the schools, etc.

Reactions: ZZZ the foxbat

totafan

2+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
International applicant with lower LM joining the thread! Hoping we all hear back soon :)

Also I think this cycle started off later than last cycle...

Reactions: ZZZ the foxbat

medDaisuki

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Some schools review international applications after they have reviewed domestic ones.

medDaisuki

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I am an international student who attends undergrad here in the US and applying to med school this cycle. I have completed most of my ~25 secondaries by mid-late July (LM >80) but I have not heard anything back yet. After knowing several of my friends who have received IIs already, I am wondering if international students will be notified later in the cycle for interviews? Thanks so much for any input!

Did you get any good news yet? Your stat is so high!!

May 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I'm another international checking in. I have completed my secondaries between mid July to mid August. I haven't received any interviews yet and I'm starting to get worried. Should I start considering other options? LM 71.

medDaisuki

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I'm another international checking in. I have completed my secondaries between mid July to mid August. I haven't received any interviews yet and I'm starting to get worried. Should I start considering other options? LM 71.

It seems this year the review started later than last year.....Did u submit your application on time?

krukshanks

5+ Year Member
May 1, 2013
Saint Louis
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

Regardless of citizenship, if you submitted on time but have no II by Thanksgiving, you should start considering backup plans.

neurophilic

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Regardless of citizenship, if you submitted on time but have no II by Thanksgiving, you should start considering backup plans.
I've heard this multiple times. What exactly is the premise behind this statement, if you don't mind me asking?

krukshanks

5+ Year Member
May 1, 2013
Saint Louis
Status
Medical Student
I've heard this multiple times. What exactly is the premise behind this statement, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanksgiving can be roughly estimated to be the midpoint of the interview invitation timeline since most IIs are extended between mid/late August and mid/late February. If you don’t get an II by Thanksgiving, it means you are kinda behind when 50% of the game is over.
Getting 0 II’s is also different from running low on II’s. If you’ve got one II, then at least you can say there are no red flags in your app. But if you have got ZERO II’s before Thanksgiving, chances are significantly higher that there’s something wrong in your app (low stats, really bad essays, little clinical experience, etc.)