International masters/doctorate clinical psychology degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimgrl23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just about finished with my undergrad degree for B.A in Psychology and am seriously considering doing grad school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I have dual citizenship which I think would help.

I'm looking into either their masters or doctorate program in clinical psychology. As of right now, I don't know if I plan to practice in Brazil, but how would I find out if the degree is equivalent to the US degree?

Also, I heard that if I get a "clinical" degree in a foreign country, it'll be impossible to get a job here in the U.S. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in the US, I would not get my degree outside the US or Canada.

Well, here's the thing, I don't know how bad the job situation will be in the US in 5 years from now. So I'm looking at the situation both ways.

A doctorate from a halfway decent university program in the USA will pretty much be universally accepted overseas, as it is seen as the "gold standard". There may be some quirks here or there with int'l licensure, but for the most part it is easier. Going the other way....quite a bit dicier.