International MD/PhD student: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwantanmdphd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really appreciate you checking out this thread. I am scared out of my wits about my chances of getting into a good MD/PhD program. I am just asking for your help to keep my mind at ease for the time being. I have submitted my secondaries and most of them are under review but I still do not have interviews. It's been only a week so I understand but still I'm crapping my pants. So here are my stats. Please give me your honest opinion because I just need to know.

sGPA: 4
cGPA: 4
Major: Biology
Minior: Chemistry, Philosophy
Shadowing: >50 in adult general, PICU, ped surgery, ped cardiac intervention and ped hem/onc (i want to go into ped hem/onc)
Clinical Volunteering: >100 hrs patient contact in in-patient ped hem/onc
Non-clinical volunteering: here and there but nothing very solid
Work: Tutor at the university
MCAT: 40 (PS 14/VR 11/BS 15)
Research: >3000 hrs. since second semester freshman including all summers and winters
Publication: 2 already published and one in fall.
Poster presentations: 6 in total presented in columbia university, my university research day and 2013, 2014 ASBMB conferences.

I applied to U Penn, Mount Sinai, Vanderbilt, Wash U, Northwestern, Boston University, Emory, Penn State, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Jefferson, Albert Einstein, UT southwestern, Baylor. What are my chances of getting into the top ones in there? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

WOW! I am very impressed. Honestly, I don't see why you are worried at all. I think the number of people who saw this thread and didn't respond speaks to the fact that you should get in. There's nothing else worth saying :) Good luck, but it doesn't look like you need it. Congrats on the accomplishments thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
WOW! I am very impressed. Honestly, I don't see why you are worried at all. I think the number of people who saw this thread and didn't respond speaks to the fact that you should get in. There's nothing else worth saying :) Good luck, but it doesn't look like you need it. Congrats on the accomplishments thus far.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I only have 2 application cycles to apply (this one and next one with OPT) and then it's home bound -_- so it's a nightmare.