International Medical Schools (like in UK, Europe, America, Asia etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about International schools?

I am considering applying to schools in the UK and Europe in general.

Are there any particular countries/places/schools that are well known and especially known for taking in foreign students?

How can I find more information about this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The International section of SDN and ValueMD are good places to find out more about these schools. I think some reputable foreign schools that are open to taking US students are Irish (not so much UK), Polish, Israeli, and some Australian schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Singapore. NUS. DUKE NUS

Qatar Qatar Cornell

HK HKU

Aussie Monash

IF ya wanna go overseas, ya better off in Asia...

UK baby!! Look into, I have family n friends that did med school there.

Singapore. NUS. DUKE NUS

Qatar Qatar Cornell

HK HKU

Aussie Monash

If you can get into Duke-NUS or Cornell-Qatar you could probably get into a US med school. I'm not completely sure about this, but I think grads of these places are still considered IMGs.

UK baby!! Look into, I have family n friends that did med school there.

Just to bring it up, but a lot of UK med schools don't accept the MCAT because they have their own test.

If you can get into Duke-NUS or Cornell-Qatar you could probably get into a US med school. I'm not completely sure about this, but I think grads of these places are still considered IMGs.
As far as :love: Cornell Qatar :love: is concerened - it is US MD degree. And you are right about being competitive.

As far as :love: Cornell Qatar :love: is concerened - it is US MD degree. And you are right about being competitive.

MD degree awarded by Cornell Qatar is not a U.S MD degree. Cornell University in Qatar is not accredited by LCME, Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Only Cornell University in the U.S. is accredited.

However, students who attend Cornell Qatar should be still competitive.

But OP wants somewhere OTHER than the states.

And Cornell Qatar iz not in the States...

That fulfills his requirement :p

He doesnt state he wants an MBBS. He wants a med school outside of teh states.

UM in Malaysia too.

Btw, if you want such info, its best to just search online for a RANKED list of international med schools.

I think if there is a US News list, I betcha that there is an international list... since people love making ranking systems :D

But OP wants somewhere OTHER than the states.

And Cornell Qatar iz not in the States...

That fulfills his requirement :p

He doesnt state he wants an MBBS. He wants a med school outside of teh states.

Hey Bannie, does University of Hong Kong offer MBBS to international students?

It is 4 years after undergrad?

Hey Bannie, does University of Hong Kong offer MBBS to international students?

It is 4 years after undergrad?

Yes. (double check though! I think my friend holds HK citizenship, so it might be that, you dont have to be STUDYING there, but still might need HK citizenship)

It is a bachelor's degree, technically you do not need undergrad.

However, it also practices higher selectivity amongst international students, so many students I believe that apply do already have undergrad.

I recall my friend saying she met people from UofT/Cornell/Brown there on interview day... something like that. and with high GPAs too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. (double check though! I think my friend holds HK citizenship, so it might be that, you dont have to be STUDYING there, but still might need HK citizenship)

It is a bachelor's degree, technically you do not need undergrad.

However, it also practices higher selectivity amongst international students, so many students I believe that apply do already have undergrad.

I recall my friend saying she met people from UofT/Cornell/Brown there on interview day... something like that. and with high GPAs too.

Sounds interesting. Have you heard about how much an attending doctor in Hong Kong earns?

MD degree awarded by Cornell Qatar is not a U.S MD degree. Cornell University in Qatar is not accredited by LCME, Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Only Cornell University in the U.S. is accredited.

However, students who attend Cornell Qatar should be still competitive.
It says on thier website, "The first medical school in Qatar and a pioneer of coeducation at university level, WCMC-Q offers an integrated program of pre-medical and medical studies leading to the Cornell University M.D. degree.....By establishing WCMC-Q in 2001, Cornell broke new ground, becoming the first American university to offer its M.D. degree overseas."

...Thats leads me to thik that because it is awarded from Cornell, it is accreditided. I could be wrong about this. I have a friend who is in her first year of residency, an American who graduated from the Qatar program. I know she goes by Dr. X, M.D. - I will have to ask her.

Anyone else know for sure??

I

It says on thier website, "The first medical school in Qatar and a pioneer of coeducation at university level, WCMC-Q offers an integrated program of pre-medical and medical studies leading to the Cornell University M.D. degree.....By establishing WCMC-Q in 2001, Cornell broke new ground, becoming the first American university to offer its M.D. degree overseas."

...Thats leads me to thik that because it is awarded from Cornell, it is accreditided. I could be wrong about this. I have a friend who is in her first year of residency, an American who graduated from the Qatar program. I know she goes by Dr. X, M.D. - I will have to ask her.

Anyone else know for sure??

I

I see what you mean. By the way, how did your friend get into Cornell Qatar? I heard it's really hard for Americans to get into there. Is she from Qatar originally?

I see what you mean. By the way, how did your friend get into Cornell Qatar? I heard it's really hard for Americans to get into there. Is she from Qatar originally?
No. She is from white farm girl from Oregon :laugh:. I dont know her exact stats but presents as rather smart and is ahead of the curve as she just turned 25 and will soon be finished with her first year of res. She loved it so much that its my #1 choice!! :thumbup:

I work with such a diverse groups of physicians here in the ICU - Mostly surgeons, anesthesiologists, and IM intensivist and pulmonologists....but they come from such different backgrounds (MD, one of whom graduated from Puerto Rico, DO, FMG including Europe, Caribbeans - Ross, Dominican Republic, and a few CRNAs). And I only know all of this because I did some goggling - it never comes up in the clinical setting and where you went to school isn't listed on your badge. For this reason alone, I pretty much believe that its all about what you make of your medical education rather than where you go and what sort of degree you actually obtain. :thumbup::thumbup:

For this reason alone, I pretty much believe that its all about what you make of your medical education rather than where you go and what sort of degree you actually obtain. :thumbup::thumbup:

:highfive:

if you wanna practice in the US later on, probably should make things easier and go the US MD/DO/Carib route

Brookkkkkkky

It's an MD degree, but it's not a US MD degree because it's from a school outside the US. How IMGs are classified isn't whether they're MBBS or MD, it's if they graduated from a non-US school. I don't know how the affiliation works but I don't think people can assume that because it's an offshoot of Cornell or Duke their grads are going to be AMGs. Going to one of these schools should still be way better than Caribbean or some other international schools in terms of coming back to the US to practice though.

Last edited:
It's an MD degree, but it's not a US MD degree because it is from a school outside the US.
uhhh, the degree is granted and earned from a school located inside the US. Find me something official that says its considered FMG and then I'll believe you.

I don't know how the affiliation works but I don't think people can assume that because it's an offshoot of Cornell or Duke their grads are going to be AMGs.
I'm assuming its considered US MD because of what I read from their website.

uhhh, the degree is granted and earned from a school located inside the US. Find me something official that says its considered FMG and then I'll believe you.

It says on Cornell-Qatar's school website that their grads are IMGs.

Why are graduates of WCMC-Q considered IMGs (International Medical Graduates)?
Anyone who graduates from a medical school whose location is outside of the geographic boundaries of the United States or Canada is considered an International Medical Graduate (IMG). Cornell is the first American university to step outside of these geographic limits by establishing a medical program and by awarding its MD degree. Thus WCMC-Q students will be the only IMGs with US medical degrees.

http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/education/admin/med/med_faqsPopup.html#Question28

I would like to see their match list....any help with that?

Sidra looks sickkkk. :)

Cornell-Qatar sounded interested because I like the region. But those match lists are far from impressive. Probably because it's IMG? Or do they all just wanna be IMs? Idk, it said on their website that the average MCAT for matriculates was 34.5, which is competitive.

Sounds interesting. Have you heard about how much an attending doctor in Hong Kong earns?

Doctors, if you are decent, generally earn ALOT in HK.

and I mean ALOT.

Thus, I do not like it there. The general feel I have got outta the place is that many doctors in HK are money hungry.

Thats just my opinion. And, yes, I am a weird one, I dont really want lots of money, just enough for me and my family to lead a good life.

Cornell-Qatar sounded interested because I like the region. But those match lists are far from impressive. Probably because it's IMG? Or do they all just wanna be IMs? Idk, it said on their website that the average MCAT for matriculates was 34.5, which is competitive.
2008 was thier first graduating class. I suppose match's will improve as the programs becomes more established. Plus these lists only have 15 students....is that how small the clases each year really are? I'm not suprised to see more IM than anything, but there are a few anesthesiology and surgery's sprinkled in there.

UK med schools are really good (especially Oxford and Cambridge but there are many others which are absolutely phenomenal).... Australia med schools are great too (University of Sydney Medical College; Melbourne).... also there is one school in india (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) which is regarded as the best medical school in Asia...

you can't go wrong with any of these... and they will provide you with more than enough info to do well on USMLE... in addition, there clinical rotations are great... and with these medical schools, I am pretty sure you can easily do some elective's in the specialities you are interested here in the US....

going to these med schools is better than going to DO or Carrib... but if you get into ANY US MD school accredited by LCME... this should be your top choice..

im currently attending a medical school in London, looking to do the USMLE to get into US. i agree with nonsciencemajor in saying that UK medical schools are excellent. (despite the bias :p) Oxford and Cambridge go without saying but institutions like Imperial, UCL and King's College (all in London) have excellent research facilities and THE best affiliated hospitals in the country. obviously i do not know much about other universities, and im sure there are many many excellent institutions around the world.
Having said that, it all depends where you want to practice- if you want to practice in US, go to a US medical school. Makes life a LOT LOT easier.