International medical student to transfer to germany?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuseralhaj

Reaction score
Hey, I'm medical student out EU, still in my 5th semester out of 10 according to my university system.

However, I would like to transfer and complete my studying in german college, even if it's in another field, ex. Nursing, Anesthesia .. etc or what ever possible?!

I don't know how to start and what are the requirements?
And what level of language that I should have?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This forum is likely not the best place for this type of knowledge.

I can say that to study at a university in Germany you need a C1 level of german (advanced - usually takes around 2 years of heavy studying to accomplish). They also have strict criteria for what equivalent classes you need to take to be able to matriculate. Google is going to be your friend as well as the websites of the programs you are interested in.

Another option could be to finish your medical school and then learn german to practice in Germany - although this all depends on where you currently go to school and how the credentials transfer over.

Hey, I'm medical student out EU, still in my 5th semester out of 10 according to my university system.

However, I would like to transfer and complete my studying in german college, even if it's in another field, ex. Nursing, Anesthesia .. etc or what ever possible?!

I don't know how to start and what are the requirements?
And what level of language that I should have?

Thanks in advance!
I honestly would just finish med school at your country and move to Germany afterwards.

If you are from the EU then the only requirement to get a german licence is to pass the Fachsprachprüfung (Equivalent of Step 2 CS). It's quite easy, you just need a few months to prepare for it.

You can skip the Kenntnisprüfung (Equivalent of Step 2 CK). That test is for MDs from countries outside the EU.

Transfering mid-way through would be a hassle considering all the requirements to enter in the first place (including a really high grade in your Abitur) and they might push you back a few semesters because of disparities in your curriculum. Medical achool in Germany lasts 6 years (12 semesters), so there might be important disparities when considering your curriculum

All of this is assuming you have a C1/C2 level of German.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly would just finish med school at your country and move to Germany afterwards.

If you are from the EU then the only requirement to get a german licence is to pass the Fachsprachprüfung (Equivalent of Step 2 CS). It's quite easy, you just need a few months to prepare for it.

You can skip the Kenntnisprüfung (Equivalent of Step 2 CK). That test is for MDs from countries outside the EU.

Transfering mid-way through would be a hassle considering all the requirements to enter in the first place (including a really high grade in your Abitur) and they might push you back a few semesters because of disparities in your curriculum. Medical achool in Germany lasts 6 years (12 semesters), so there might be important disparities when considering your curriculum

All of this is assuming you have a C1/C2 level of German.

How hard is Kenntnisprüfung compared to Step 2 CK?

What's the equivalent of Step 1? :unsure:

How hard is Kenntnisprüfung compared to Step 2 CK?

What's the equivalent of Step 1? :unsure:
There is no equivalent to step 1.

As a note. Both tests (Fachsprach- Kenntnisprüfung) are oral with a smaller written component.

Kenntnisprüfung:
You basically have a "conversation" with 3 attendings (Surgical/IM/other). They present cases and you have to solve them while answering pertinent questions (detailed physio, pharm, anatomy, etc), interpret XRays/CTs/MRIs/EKGs/Blood Gases. You are expected to know dosages, algorithms, explain surgical procedures, clasifications, TNM staging, contraindications, etc.

You are also expected to evaluate a real patient, write a case summary in the form of normal medical notes, present the case and be able to solve it and answer pertinent questions.

Now that I think about it. It's more like the Step 3 I guess. Not sure how to compare the difficulty with Step 2CK because the format is different

Things to consider
(1) It's exhausting, the test lasts around 6 hours.
(2) It's in German, obviously. Most people that go though the test learned German recently and aren't as fluent as a native speaker (let alone at the level of an attending)
(3) It's subjective. The 3 attendings decide if you pass and inform you of the result the same day
(4) You may repeat the test if you fali for a total of 3 attempts. After that you are out of the system.

Also. The structure of medical residencies is way different than what most countries have. But that's a whole different topic, equally important nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users