International Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undereducated

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going into FM, but I'm also interested in international medicine fellowship (IMF). I thought FM offered IMF. Was I mistaken? When I search for IMF on google, Emergency Medicine seems to be the more popular way to get to it. I have found only one IMF through google located in Wichita, Ka. Is there anyone who knows whether we can have IMF through FM?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Cincinnati's FM residency program has a formal international health curriculum which includes rotations abroad. They don't have an IH fellowship, to my knowledge. But you might check them out if you're looking for a residency program that includes IH.

AMSA has a list of global health residencies, the preponderance of which are in FP. Though IMHO they're not good for much other than a free MPH, if the program offers it.

http://www.amsa.org/global/ih/resprograms.cfm

I should add this list is sorely outdated. Mt Sinai, for example, offers the first dedicated global health residency in the country (in med-peds), as well as tracks in medicine, peds, EM, surgery, OB and I think psych. The Brigham of course has their famous global health equity track. And there's loads of stuff at Brown and UCSF, which are probably the most dedicated centers in the country to it.

There's also this really famous FM residency out in California that is famous for training people who will live and work overseas for their entire career. They train true "do everything FPs"-- you know, doing appys and lap choles, c-sections, every procedure in the book. I can't remember which one it is, but there's only 38 programs in California. :) If you go to a program like that, there is literally no better training for those who are interested in living and working abroad long-term.

I realize that this will pertain not only to FM but other specialties that are interested in working overseas...

AMSA has a list of global health residencies, the preponderance of which are in FP. Though IMHO they're not good for much other than a free MPH, if the program offers it.

http://www.amsa.org/global/ih/resprograms.cfm

I should add this list is sorely outdated. Mt Sinai, for example, offers the first dedicated global health residency in the country (in med-peds), as well as tracks in medicine, peds, EM, surgery, OB and I think psych. The Brigham of course has their famous global health equity track. And there's loads of stuff at Brown and UCSF, which are probably the most dedicated centers in the country to it.

As a guide, look to whether the affiliated institutions have public health schools that have significant involvement overseas, especially in your region of interest. These places will give you established opportunities for overseas work (clinical and research), rather than other places that just state they have 'global health' programs. The difference is that you will have a lot of infrastructure in place, and a lot of colleagues from allied professions at your institution, not to mention better access to funding and collaboration. This may lead to a much smoother and fulfilling experience, especially if you're talking about overseas work during time-constrained residency.

Off the top of my head, these institutions are: Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UCSF/Berkeley, UNC, Emory, Tulane, etc. (Please no flame wars.)

If you're in doubt, check some of the tropical med, global health, or int'l development journals, and see which institutions are represented.

There's also this really famous FM residency out in California that is famous for training people who will live and work overseas for their entire career. They train true "do everything FPs"-- you know, doing appys and lap choles, c-sections, every procedure in the book. I can't remember which one it is, but there's only 38 programs in California. :) If you go to a program like that, there is literally no better training for those who are interested in living and working abroad long-term.

Both Ventura and Contra Costa/Martinez FP programs have that reputation. For starters, here are some more threads that discuss the unopposed FP programs that will train you for work overseas:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=48434&highlight=ventura

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=245291&highlight=ventura