International Medicine Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richnathan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've posted this question in the International Med. forum with no success, so I thought I would try here. I am looking to practice international medicine full-time for a NGO after either EM or FM residency. I was wondering if anyone has a general idea of salary ranges for this kind of work? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on who you are planning to work for and what your motivations are.
In general, if you are concerned about international development or relief work, it's good to consider that the maximum good for a particular community may come from maximizing the number of local physicians (or community health workers, etc) in a given area for the same amount of money that it would cost to host an international (e.g U.S.) physician. That said, there are still lots of ways to work overseas, or volunteer/work. Look around and you'll find some examples.

For instance, if you read the info on the Doctors Without Borders website, you'll see these benefits:
"
  • Round trip air tickets from home to mission
  • Accomodation in NYC/Europe during briefing/debriefing
  • Monthly salary of approximately $1498
  • Full medical insurance
  • Accommodation in the field (shared housing mostly with private rooms)
  • Per diem on mission in local currency"
The Peace Corps Global Health Service Partnership has regular Peace Corps benefits plus up to $30,000 for debt repayment.

You might also check out books like "A Practical Guide to Global Health Services" by Edward O'Neil for info about hundreds of other programs.

Thanks for the information. I completely agree with you on the point of local health care providers as being optimal. I've found a few full-time positions with NGOs affiliated with Partners in Health, but I have been unable to get any salary information. I expect salaries to be lower, just not sure if I would be looking at 50k/year or 100k/year.