International medicine specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm interested in serving abroad and was curious what specialties are more likely to be useful and aid me in applying to positions abroad? (ie poor, underdeveloped nations) trying to figure out life goals...

Members don't see this ad.

Gen Surg, OB/GYN, and Family Med (especially if you can go to a program and get some minor surgery experience).

Infectious diseases, especially TB, HIV, and malaria

Members don't see this ad :)
Public Health/ Preventative Medicine, OBGYN

While researching this I've discovered that essentially any specialty can be helpful in undeserved parts of the world. That said, do something your passionate about and the opportunities will be there.

Some pediatrics and IM residency programs have "global health tracks" in their curriculums, where you conduct a portion of your electives abroad. I know of at least one general surgery program that is starting to offer this, as well.

i really do not have much interest in surgeries...though i do see the value. just don't think at all i'm going that route.

i really do not have much interest in surgeries...though i do see the value. just don't think at all i'm going that route.

Ok.

You asked what would be most useful and you received good answers.

While researching this I've discovered that essentially any specialty can be helpful in undeserved parts of the world. That said, do something your passionate about and the opportunities will be there.

This is what I've found as well.

I will add that recently it seems like anesthesiologists are in high demand. There is a big need for psychiatrist (for example, Ghana has 12?!?! practicing psychiatrists--> http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2011/aug/29/ghana-new-mental-health-bill) and neurologists (http://nigerianhealthjournal.com/?p=1127). I think those are some specialties that don't usually come up.

From my school attendings in surgical onc, urology, ob/gyn, ID, radiology, peds, ortho, FM, and psych regularly serve abroad. So there really are opportunities for everyone as a variety of fields and medical expertise are useful.

Everything is in demand, sure.

But the things listed above are in critical demand: FM, GS, OB/GYN. Basic medical care from these groups are in grave demand, more so than say ortho or psych. But sure, they need everything because they have very little.

Everything is in demand, sure.

But the things listed above are in critical demand: FM, GS, OB/GYN. Basic medical care from these groups are in grave demand, more so than say ortho or psych. But sure, they need everything because they have very little.

Further, I don't think people overseas care much for our "specialties" - I don't think you would tell a man with a broken arm "no, you see I'm an ob/gyn, I only see women for female issues".

Anything with a broad knowledge base and skill set would be useful. I suspect that doctors are simply surgeon vs. medicine in most undeserved areas.

Further, I don't think people overseas care much for our "specialties" - I don't think you would tell a man with a broken arm "no, you see I'm an ob/gyn, I only see women for female issues".

Anything with a broad knowledge base and skill set would be useful. I suspect that doctors are simply surgeon vs. medicine in most undeserved areas.

Exactly, general skills. If one really wants a pulse on what's needed, just look at the MSF website and see what is urgently needed: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work/field/