International/Nontraditional Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevergiveupmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

Like the title says , I am an international student ( from Africa) and nontraditional ( 29 yrs old ) . I did my undergraduate BS in Biology ( 2010) and MS in biotechnology ( 2013) in U.S . I always wanted to be doctor all my life. Being international student I taught I could not apply to med school with loans or scholarship until recently . I applied to Grad school after undergraduate just to compensate the fact that I could not go to med school but was not accepted , I went for a MS hoping my chance of being accepted, I got one interview but was not accepted . I was then denied a month ago by the school where I had my master and a grad school in Canada due to lack of funding. I came back in my native country after being away for 7 years doing hard studying and working at the same time. I realize that grad school is not for me and I should go with my passion which is medicine maybe I will get more chance of being accepted . I started studying for the MCAT a while ago using Khan academy but I dont think I will be ready for the test in September which I have to take in South Africa because my country does not offer it.I have asked LOR so many time that at this point I will need a new set of professors to ask I look into European med school but there is that language requirement. I am actually working with doctors to help them with patient support group and others so it is kind of shadowing expereince for me . I really want to do medicine in the U.S because I am familiar with the curriculum but I can only apply to school that accept international students .I have missed so many summers studying for GRE and applications , spend so much money in my education that at this point I want to make the right moves and smart decisions. If you have any advise on the mcat 2105 test date , LOR , PS ,schools ,international applicants,

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is a fearsome test. Khan Academy is OK, but you will need to obtain specific test prep material. I recommend Examkrackers, The Berkeley Review, or The Princeton Review. We have a MCAT forum that is very helpful for this.

What was your GPA from the US schools? GPA is very important.

Hello Everybody,

Like the title says , I am an international student ( from Africa) and nontraditional ( 29 yrs old ) . I did my undergraduate BS in Biology ( 2010) and MS in biotechnology ( 2013) in U.S . I always wanted to be doctor all my life. Being international student I taught I could not apply to med school with loans or scholarship until recently . I applied to Grad school after undergraduate just to compensate the fact that I could not go to med school but was not accepted , I went for a MS hoping my chance of being accepted, I got one interview but was not accepted . I was then denied a month ago by the school where I had my master and a grad school in Canada due to lack of funding. I came back in my native country after being away for 7 years doing hard studying and working at the same time. I realize that grad school is not for me and I should go with my passion which is medicine maybe I will get more chance of being accepted . I started studying for the MCAT a while ago using Khan academy but I dont think I will be ready for the test in September which I have to take in South Africa because my country does not offer it.I have asked LOR so many time that at this point I will need a new set of professors to ask I look into European med school but there is that language requirement. I am actually working with doctors to help them with patient support group and others so it is kind of shadowing expereince for me . I really want to do medicine in the U.S because I am familiar with the curriculum but I can only apply to school that accept international students .I have missed so many summers studying for GRE and applications , spend so much money in my education that at this point I want to make the right moves and smart decisions. If you have any advise on the mcat 2105 test date , LOR , PS ,schools ,international applicants,

thank you
hey, im Nigerian applying this summer. take the test only if youre ready. improve on your ECs show lots of leadership activities, practice interviewing better, consider D.O schools. If you go abroad, it will be harder for you to get a residency in the u.s. good luck.