International PhD student applying to MD program after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xianghui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm a non-traditional international student. Currently I'm a 3rd yr PhD student in cancer biology. My undergraduate GPA is 3.85 (in the US) and my MCAT is 35 (PS12 V11 BS12, I took it on July 25 2014, so it won't expire in 2016 application). I also have an expired MCAT three years ago (32R: PS13 V9 BS10).
As an international student from China, do I have any chance of getting into medical school if I apply in 2016 for the class of 2017?

I don't have much volunteer or doctor shadowing experience (I do have some in China and during my undergrad in the US). Is it too late to start now? My research experience is solid and I'm definitely gonna get first author papers before graduation.
What else should I do to increase my chances? Or is my data too weak to continue applying? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Get more shadowing experience+ volunteer experiences + publish articles and I think you will have a good chance. Harder to apply as an international student..Any chance you have applied for a green card and if yes, will you get it anytime soon?

Get more shadowing experience+ volunteer experiences + publish articles and I think you will have a good chance. Harder to apply as an international student..Any chance you have applied for a green card and if yes, will you get it anytime soon?

No green card application. I'll start with volunteer experience.
Is my MCAT too low for international students?

No green card application. I'll start with volunteer experience.
Is my MCAT too low for international students?
I don't think so.. 35 is a great score! But you might want to ask members like GynGyn for further advice.