Dec 1, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am going to apologize in advance for the long message but I am in dire need of some sound advice since all I have received has mainly led me to believe that I don't stand a chance and I don't want to think that way until all the medical schools reject me which would be the nail in the coffin but until then I would like to think I do have a shot here.
So I finished my B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology at a US state university but I transferred in my junior year from abroad. Having completed freshman and sophomore year in pharmaceutical sciences I transferred here. The state university accepted me with 65 transfer credits and waived my prerequisite requirements. So I do not have any chemistry or physics courses completed in the US except Bio 200 and 201 which I completed in my Junior year. I graduated with a 2.9 GPA mainly because my Freshman and Sophomore year GPA was not counted at all and my GPA tanked after coming here because of multiple reasons like working 2 jobs while in school full time and other reasons. I graduated in Spring 2013 and taking a year off to study for MCATS and working full time to arrange for resources to pay for MCAT and admissions. But I still do have to take my pre-reqs and I am waiting to hear on my Green Card status. But until then I am an international student and I am not too sure on the green card with the whole current immigration reform mess.
But on the brighter side I am also working in a cancer research laboratory for the past year and starting to shadow a doctor and hoping to ace my MCATs with solid preparation but when I apply for Fall 2015 next year in 2014 I will not have any pre-requisite grades to show the admissions committee since I will be in the process of taking them at that moment in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015. So when do the admissions committee make their decision and will I be able to send them my grades after I apply?
Also should I wait another year and will scoring a better GPA in my pre requisites help even after I have applied to Medical Schools already?
What are my chances? if anyone has gone through a similar thing, I would be highly obliged if you shared.
Thank You Everyone.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
A 2.9 cGPA makes you noncompetitive for both MD and DO programs. You will need to do some serious grade repair either from a post-bac program or SMP. if you re-take all F/D/C science coursework, then AACOMAS' grade replacement policy will at least make you com[petitive for DO programs.

I suggest that you do not consider medical school in the US util you get your green card.

I am going to apologize in advance for the long message but I am in dire need of some sound advice since all I have received has mainly led me to believe that I don't stand a chance and I don't want to think that way until all the medical schools reject me which would be the nail in the coffin but until then I would like to think I do have a shot here.
So I finished my B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology at a US state university but I transferred in my junior year from abroad. Having completed freshman and sophomore year in pharmaceutical sciences I transferred here. The state university accepted me with 65 transfer credits and waived my prerequisite requirements. So I do not have any chemistry or physics courses completed in the US except Bio 200 and 201 which I completed in my Junior year. I graduated with a 2.9 GPA mainly because my Freshman and Sophomore year GPA was not counted at all and my GPA tanked after coming here because of multiple reasons like working 2 jobs while in school full time and other reasons. I graduated in Spring 2013 and taking a year off to study for MCATS and working full time to arrange for resources to pay for MCAT and admissions. But I still do have to take my pre-reqs and I am waiting to hear on my Green Card status. But until then I am an international student and I am not too sure on the green card with the whole current immigration reform mess.
But on the brighter side I am also working in a cancer research laboratory for the past year and starting to shadow a doctor and hoping to ace my MCATs with solid preparation but when I apply for Fall 2015 next year in 2014 I will not have any pre-requisite grades to show the admissions committee since I will be in the process of taking them at that moment in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015. So when do the admissions committee make their decision and will I be able to send them my grades after I apply?
Also should I wait another year and will scoring a better GPA in my pre requisites help even after I have applied to Medical Schools already?
What are my chances? if anyone has gone through a similar thing, I would be highly obliged if you shared.
Thank You Everyone.

OP
I
Dec 1, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
So a post
A 2.9 cGPA makes you noncompetitive for both MD and DO programs. You will need to do some serious grade repair either from a post-bac program or SMP. if you re-take all F/D/C science coursework, then AACOMAS' grade replacement policy will at least make you com[petitive for DO programs.

I suggest that you do not consider medical school in the US util you get your green card.
Thank you. But you still think grade replacement cash work?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
The good news is that your gpa is based on far fewer credits than most college graduates have earned so every course you take going forward will move your gpa more than it would for most students. You need to take one year of chemistry and one year of physics and one year of organic chemistry. Doing well in those courses could greatly improve your gpa. In addition, you would be wise to take some advanced level science courses.(I think that this is better than repeating random classes for grade replacement.) Although you could apply and take the courses during your application year, that would be a very bad idea given than your gpa is well below the minimum most schools look for. So, what you need is a post-bac program that will take you through those required classes and apply in 2015 to start school in 2016.
Also, be aware that the number of schools that accept international students is very small and having a green card will greatly improve your likelihood of being admitted if for no other reason than giving you more choices as an applicant. Furthermore, financial aid is more streamlined as a green card holder than as an international student.

Jun 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It's MCAT.
Medical College Admission Test.
Not MCATS!