International Practicing Rights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDude2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[removed by user]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you asking if you can call something in for her now, when you're still a student? The answer is no. Can you call something in for her when you become a doctor? Depends on whether or not you have a license to practice in Canada. You shouldn't write prescriptions for someone in a country where you don't have a license to practice medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
International practice rights and medical licensing are not the same thing. Are DO's recognized as full physicians in Canada? Yes (at least in one province as far as I know). Can you show up one day and write a prescription (practice medicine)? No.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to start medical school and although I am a US resident, I am a Canadian citizen, so I have looked into working in Canada and it differs by province but most require you to do a 1 year residency to work in that province. But in reality why would you need to write a prescription for her grandmother? Each citizen there has health care and they do not pay anything to go see the doctor.

The province I would be interested in is Ontario. I'll have to look into their requirements. I would write a prescription because they come from a very small, very northern town; the ER wait is around 6-7 hours and it takes about 2-3 months to get a doctor's appt (even family doctor). They're really hurting for doctors. Back when I was pre-med, I told them I was THINKING about going to med school and they tried to recruit me lol. So it would be for some immediate type stuff. Thanks for the input :)

You'll have to get licensed there before you can practice. Alternatively, if you are licensed in say New York or Michigan, etc., you could right them a script for there, but it'll be more costly.

Ontario has been wide open for DOs for some time (I believe Newfoundland or Saskatchewan used to limit DO practice rights). That said, as of right now (since 2012/2013), all Canadian provinces fully recognize DOs for unlimited practice rights, so you can practice anywhere there if you get licensed.